Soph Spices Up the Diamond

Name: Suria Bahadue

Sport: Softball

Position: Catcher

Hometown: Miami, Fla.

High School: Monsignor Edward Pace High School

School/Year: COL ’10

ajor: History and Biology

High School Career: Played volleyball and softball. A four-year letterwinner in softball, team captain and won district championship as a senior. Valedictorian of her class.

Georgetown Career: One of three players to start all 53 games in 2007. Led the team in walks (23) and was second in fielding percentage (.981) in 2007. Has two home runs, including a walk-off home run to beat Towson in 2008.

When did you first start playing softball? I first started playing when I was nine. I skipped the whole T-ball and slow-pitch stage because I started late, so I was terrible. But I just kept playing and playing and playing. I got picked on a lot because I was on the 12 and younger team, and everyone was older than me and super cool, and I was the dork. But then one year they all moved up and then I was the hotshot veteran. Then all of a sudden I was playing short-stop and I wasn’t in right field anymore, it was weird. But I just assumed the confidence and went on with it, and ever since then I knew I was going to play softball for a long time.

Tell us about your teammates: The year that I got recruited, it was seven of us who came in together, and we were the first recruited class. And when we’re seniors, it’ll be all recruits. It’s really cool to be a part of that. Those are really who my friends are. It’s another life; McDonough is like home for us, we’re around each other all the time. We joke about how it would feel like to have “civilian” friends. We’re definitely very close. We have a chemistry that’s unreal, almost.

Who on the team do you rely on the most? My softball soul-mate is [sophomore second baseman] Jadig Garcia. We have the same mentality as far as playing, same level of intensity in our games, and the two of us can talk to each other any time. She’s Dominican and I’m Cuban-Lebanese so we have that connection, too. I like to call it the “Latin Sensation.” And she’s so small and cute. I don’t know what I’d do without her.

Who is the team joker? It would probably be me.

Any superstitions? It’s different things. Sometimes I play well when my hair’s in a braid. Sometimes it’s a certain sports bra that I hit really well with. And sometimes it’s socks, too.

Favorite athlete? Kevin Millar.

Best moment in your career so far? I recently hit a walk-off home run to win us the game. It was pretty awesome. When I got back, I couldn’t even work. It was probably the best feeling, to crush the ball and then run in, and the whole team’s waiting for you. It was like there was no one else on the team but us. It was so awesome.

ost embarrassing moment? I was playing a game back in high school; it was raining really hard and it was really muddy. I was rounding third and running home, and as I stepped on home, I slipped and fell flat on my ass. I didn’t even move, I just kind of lay there and stared up in the sky.

Freshman residence hall? Harbin.

What is the one thing you miss most about home? I miss the Spanish reggaeton music. I miss Daddy Yankee!

Favorite movie? National Treasure.

A movie you’re embarrassed to admit you like? I’m not embarrassed by it, but it would probably be Madagascar.

What’s the worst pickup line someone’s ever used on you? It wasn’t used on me, but this one guy came up to my friend and said, “Hey, you’re really hot. But I’m gay. But you wanna make out still?” and she’s just like, “What? That doesn’t even make sense!”

Favorite escape from Georgetown? I would run to the White House and do push-ups in front of the White House. People stare at me when I do it, but it’s so cool.

Favorite Georgetown restaurant? Benihana.

Greatest inspiration? I have two. My mom: If I could be half as intense and half as independent as her, I’d be content. She’s one of those people who walks into the room and knows everyone by the time that she leaves. Her and my coach from back home, Steve, who basically fueled a passion I didn’t know I had. He pretty much got me here.

Booey’s or Wiseys? Tough one. Wiseys, I think, because it’s more accessible.

– Photo and interview by Hijab Shah