Student Sexually Assaulted in Village A

*Updated at 2:44 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 4.*

A Georgetown student was sexually assaulted in her Village A apartment at about 4:20 a.m. on Tuesday in an incident similar to a series of recent break-ins and sexual assaults on and near campus attributed to the so-called “Georgetown Cuddler.”

According to a Public Safety Alert from the Department of Public Safety, an unidentified male accessed the apartment through a ground floor window.

“The suspect climbed into the bed of the complainant while she slept. The suspect began to sexually assault the complainant, whereupon she screamed and the suspect left the residence through the front door, fleeing in an unknown direction,” the PSA said.

The victim described the male attacker as being between 5-foot-2 and 5-foot-9. No injuries were reported to DPS.

The Metropolitan Police Department notified the community of Tuesday’s assault early that morning through the Second District Yahoo group.

“A male subject, less than 6-foot and in his 20s, entered a female student’s apartment through a window while she was asleep. When the woman awoke the suspect fled from her apartment. His race is unknown and the only further description she could give was that he had a scruffy beard,” Lt. Victor Braschnewitz said in an e-mail to the listserv.

According to a MPD incident report that was filed later, “[Complainant 1] reports that after falling asleep by herself, she awoke to [suspect 1] sexually assaulting her with digital penetration in her bed. [Complainant 1] stated that to her knowledge, no property was taken by [suspect 1].”

In response to the recent spree of crimes attributed to the “Georgetown Cuddler,” Rocco DelMonaco, vice president for university safety, and Todd Olson, vice president for student affairs, met with campus reporters on Wednesday to discuss the incidents and the university’s response.

While there are numerous similarities among the “Cuddler” incidents over the past few years, more than one suspect could exist. Descriptions of the perpetrator have varied from one victim to the next, DelMonaco said.

“Connections in the case aren’t to the level that we can [narrow it] to one suspect. Of all the incidents, there [are] a lot of similarities, but there’s a lot that doesn’t match up,” DelMonaco said.

An early-morning break-in that did not lead to a sexual assault occurred at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday at the 33rd Street home of a Georgetown student. The PSA sent to the university community following the incident described the suspect as a white male between 25 and 30 years old with a medium build, short brown hair and dark clothing.

There seem to be no similar features between the victims other than they are all female, according to Olson and DelMonaco.

DPS and MPD continue to investigate the incidents and, according to DelMonaco and Olson, the university is strengthening its cooperation with MPD and increasing patrols in the most vulnerable areas. DelMonaco hopes that continued PSAs will result in potential leads.

“If [people] see information, we want them to call us,” Del Monaco said.

The “Cuddler” incidents may not be restricted to Georgetown’s campus either. The area surrounding American University’s campus has seen similar incidents and, according to DelMonaco, DPS is working with neighboring universities’ police departments.

Local media outlets, including The Washington Post and D.C. FOX 5 News, have also followed the incidents. Students are continually advised to use university resources such as SafeRides and to lock their doors.