Survey Indicates Safety Concerns

University officials released the results of an extensive student safety survey yesterday, which indicated that most students feel safe on campus although many feel security measures in the areas immediately surrounding the university can be improved.

The survey, conducted by members of the Student Safety Advisory Board, was designed to inform university officials about student perceptions of campus safety. Although 94.4 percent of respondents rated Georgetown as at least fairly safe, university officials say the survey has prompted various changes in on- and off- campus security to address student concerns.

Over 400 students responded to the survey, which was distributed online and in paper form last spring. Freshmen composed 33 percent of respondents, while sophomores made up 24 percent, juniors 19 percent and seniors 24 percent.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, said that the survey revealed that many students want the university to finish installing its new emergency call boxes, many of which have been delayed for over a year. Others want the installation of additional light fixtures on walkways throughout campus and expanded nighttime transportation for Georgetown students, he said.

Morrell added that the students showed particular interest in promoting awareness of crime and increasing attention to security in neighborhoods just outside the campus gates, where many students live and where there is heavy pedestrian traffic throughout the day and night.

The survey asked students to indicate the degree to which they felt safe at a variety of different campus locations, including residence halls, office buildings, classrooms and streets in the immediate vicinity of campus.

Results indicated that the three areas where students experienced the greatest level of unease with current security were the length of Prospect Street, the road behind Village A and the streets beyond Healey gates.

“I feel safe anywhere on campus, though when I read security reports I’m scared that people are being attacked like a block off campus,” Erica Rudd (COL ’08) said.

Forty-four percent of students in the survey felt that the area between 35th Street and Wisconsin Avenue is somewhat safe, while 51 percent felt the same about the area behind Village A. Thirty-two percent of respondents said Burleith is fairly safe, and 35 percent felt the roads immediately outside of the university up to 35th street are somewhat safe.

“The issues that surfaced out of the survey made it very clear where the priorities were,” Morrell said yesterday. “The students were loud and clear about how they felt unsafe behind Village A on Prospect Street.”

Nicole Cramer (COL ’08), who lives on Prospect Street, agreed.

“I’m much more scared walking down that block than I am in New York City,” she said.

Morrell said that initial steps have already been taken to address these specific concerns. Workers have already cut back about half of the overgrowth along Prospect St. and the Advisory Neighborhood Council has been contacted about replacing broken lampposts and adding new lighting fixtures.

Morrell said that the survey results have also had an impact on other university safety policies.

Twenty-one call boxes have been activated, bringing the total number of working call boxes to 48, while 13 additional call boxes will be activated as soon as technical issues are resolved, he said. Administrators said last week that several call boxes were still inoperative due to problems with the emergency phones’ batteries.

Still some students said they haven’t seen much of a difference in the status of the call boxes.

“I’ve noticed that most of the call boxes still have . covering on them,” Mike Marquis (MSB ’08) said.

The survey also influenced the alteration of double-swipe and sign-in GOCard procedures in residence halls, Morrell said. Students are now required to swipe their GOCards at residence halls beginning at 10 p.m., rather than 9 p.m., he added.

Despite many students saying that they feel safe, Morrell cautioned that there is still much that can be done to improve campus safety.

“We can’t afford to become complacent,” he said. “This is not a quick fix solution; it’s certainly a process, but a well-charted process.”

He urged students to be vigilant in locking their doors and to exercise caution when walking around campus and surrounding areas at night.

“It’s not just about their own actions, it’s helping each other. When they leave at night, it’s asking, `Hey, did you lock your door?'” Morrell said. “Students play such a huge role in the solution.”

Morrell also pledged to continue the university’s partnership with the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department and work to expand regular MPD patrols in the Georgetown area. More MPD patrols around campus will allow DPS to concentrate its resources to promote safety more efficiently on campus, he said.