Swine Flu Suspected at GWU

Two probable cases of swine flu were reported in Washington, D.C., today on the campus of The George Washington University.

According to The GW Hatchet, two female freshmen have been treated for the disease and neither was hospitalized.

“[The Department of Health] and The George Washington University are working together to identify any possible exposures and prevent the further spread of the virus,” according to a DOH press release.

As of Friday evening, there have been nearly 140 confirmed cases of swine flu, now officially called influenza A(H1N1), in 19 states. If confirmed, these two cases would be the first cases of the virus in the District.

GWU officials have responded by removing the infected students from their dormitories in Thurston Hall in order to reduce the spread of the virus.

“The university has mostly responded on an administrative level,” said Hannah Pincus, a sophomore at GWU. “The president sent out an e-mail to the students, and they [the probably infected students] were moved out of Thurston. But I still wouldn’t go to the library or highly populated areas – it is airborne and can spread so fast, especially in a dorm like Thurston.”

According to the press release, one of the ill students has a history of traveling to one of the H1N1-infected regions. Officials believe the student may have also exposed her roommate to the virus, according to The Hatchet. Samples from the two probable cases have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for confirmation.

“The H1N1 virus is a new strain of influenza (the flu) that is a combination of four strains of influenza including swine influenza. Symptoms of influenza include runny nose or nasal congestion, cough, sore throat and a fever above 100 degrees. The incubation period from time of exposure to illness is two to five days,” the press release states.

Classes have now ended at GWU but finals and graduation are to take place as scheduled.

“I’m waiting to hear more about the outbreak from GW,” says Christopher Reid (COL ’10) who takes a class twice a week at GWU. “I’ve talked to a couple of friends in my class and they don’t really know what to expect. I plan on going to my final in a couple of days unless I’m advised otherwise. I’m not too worried.”

“We will continue to monitor the situation and be in regular touch with health officials to learn the most up-to-date information. The university’s emergency response team will continue to meet throughout the weekend,” said university spokesperson Julie Bataille in an e-mail.