Syracuse, Longwood Down Georgetown Over Weekend

The weekend was one to forget for the Georgetown field hockey team.

Back-to-back losses took Georgetown’s season tally to 2-9, with an 0-2 Big East record. As if the 8-1 rout against Syracuse (9-2, 2-1 Big East) on Friday wasn’t bad enough, Longwood University (3-9) flung salt on Georgetown’s wounds by defeating the Hoyas 3-1 in a nonleague game on Sunday.

Georgetown went into the Syracuse game with home-field advantage, playing at the University of Maryland Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex in College Park, Md., but the Hoyas were unable to put it to much use.

It took Syracuse just six minutes to get on the board, as freshman midfielder Lelia Sacre fired a solo effort into the back of the net. Eight minutes later, the score was doubled when a pass by senior forward Jessica Lerew ricocheted off the stick of freshman forward Kristin Girouard and into the goal. Freshman midfielder Maggie Befort raised the score to 3-0 just two minutes from halftime, as she tipped in a cross from senior forward Gloria Nantulya.

The Hoyas only managed one shot on goal in the first period, as compared to the Orange’s 15. Georgetown junior goalkeeper Deirdre Crovo was kept busy, making six saves and conceding three goals, while her Orange counterpart junior goalkeeper Heather Hess was only forced to save one and conceded none.

“Our defense did a fairly good job,” said Georgetown’s interim Head Coach Tiffany Marsh. “They came up with quite a few saves and only allowed three in. At that point we were just having trouble capitalizing in the circle. We had chances inside our offensive third of the field and we should have created opportunities from that.”

Things went from bad to worse for the Hoyas after halftime as the Orange blinded them with four goals in the space of just 25 minutes. Befort and Sacre scored their second goals of the match, the former scoring in the 40th minute off an assist by junior forward Brittany Shannon, and the latter scoring off assists from Nantulya and senior defender Leigh Fawcett in the 53rd minute.

Five minutes later, Nantulya was also involved in the sixth goal, as her pass found the stick

of senior forward Jessica Lerew, who shot clean through the Hoya defenders to make it 6-0. Two minutes later, Fawcett broke away from the Orange half and scored the seventh goal of the match.

The Hoyas continued to work hard, finally earning a goal in the 67th minute, when sophomore midfielder Willemijn Wijsman assisted junior midfielder Katie Lachman to make the score 7-1. The Orange added one final goal.

“Obviously it’s very hard for anybody to really handle such a loss,” Marsh said. “But to Syracuse’s credit, they did play very well, and once they got going on a roll we couldn’t really stop them unfortunately.”

The Hoyas had barely a day to recover from their shattering defeat before they had to set off again to Farmville, Va., to play a non-league game against Longwood. The Lancers took advantage of the Hoyas’ current bad run and defeated them 3-1.

Sunday was the day for penalty corners, as all four goals of the game came off of them, with Georgetown stacking up a total of 13 corners and Longwood taking seven.

Three minutes into the second period, leading 1-0, the Lancers’ sophomore forward Melissa Strickland scored off of a rebound from a penalty corner that deflected off the post.

The third Lancer goal came in the 68th minute, as junior midfielder Carla Binnewies scored again off a penalty corner assist by sophomore midfielder Julia Hernandez and senior midfielder Mary Freeman.

The Hoyas responded within 44 seconds, as Wijsman and senior defender Lauren Sheets assisted junior forward aggie Farrand off a penalty corner.

“We put together a good corner at the end to get our goal,” Marsh said. “I think we could have done that a couple of other times and been just as capitalizing on the other opportunities that we had.”

The Hoyas have four days to regroup before they play host to Connecticut, where they will be hoping to put an end to their losing streak. “We’re very big on just keeping things simple and trying to play good hockey with our passing,” Marsh said.

The Hoyas clash with the Huskies on Friday at 5 p.m.