Taking on Tradition

Relations between the university administration and the growing gay community at Georgetown escalated in March 1973 in a dispute over the group’s status on campus.

A March 30, 1973 issue of The Hoya reported on the events.

In a Feb. 1973 letter to the university administration, gay students asked for official recognition from the university which would have allowed them to post signs on campus, place announcements in university publications, receive student government funds and reserve university facilities for their activities.

The request and two subsequent appeals were denied by Susan Palmer Johnson, director of student activities, Patricia Rueckel, vice president for student development and Fr. Edmund Ryan, S.J.

“Georgetown University has always had a tradition of Christian virtues and ideals. The spirit and policy of the university are defined in light of this Christian heritage,” Johnson wrote in a letter to the group explaining her decision. “Accordingly, we believe that the recognition of any homosexual group is completely inconsistent with the ideals and stated policy of the University.”

Later, in another response, Rueckel wrote, “We feel it is inappropriate for the University, as an educational institution, to give encouragement to this style of life.”

In response, the informal group of students, Gay Georgetown Students, led by David McCaughey (FLL ’74), said they would consider taking legal action against the University and had already taken the step of contacting the American Civil Liberties Union.

Michael Garcia (SFS ’75), a former coordinator of the group, said that one final appeal would be made to then University President Rev. Robert Henle, S.J., and that legal action would be taken after Henle’s decision. Henle was largely expected to uphold the previous decisions and he eventually did.

– This story was condensed by staff writer Aaron Terrazas from staff reports from the March 30, 1973 issue of The Hoya.