Ten Year Plan To Be Voted On Tomorrow

The university’s 10-Year Plan will be rejected, modified or accepted Wednesday, depending on a decision by the D.C. Board of Zoning Adjustment. Calling for an enrollment increase to fund the operation of new facilities, the plan has met with strong opposition from area neighbors.

A science building, a Graduate Business School facility, an administrative/academic building and a new Physician’s Office Building at the Medical Center are in the plan. All are slated to be added to the campus after the Southwest Quadrangle project is completed.

The plan also includes several renovation/remodeling projects, among which are proposed additions and renovations to the Ryan Administrative building to create a Performing Arts Center. Other proposed renovations to existing buildings include the Leavey Center, Lauinger Library, Walsh, St. Mary’s, Dahlgren Library and the Lombardi Cancer Center. The athletic program would also benefit from improvements, through revamping McDonough Gymnasium and a redesign of Harbin Field with 1,300 additional seats.

The university maintains that while revenue will be raised to cover construction costs of the new facilities, enrollment must subsequently increase to cover costs of running programs in these new facilities. By raising enrollment, the university hopes to put the new income of tuition dollars toward implementing the proposed projects. The university has agreed to not increase enrollment until the completion of the Southwest Quadrangle project in fall of 2003, at which time a residence hall housing 780 students on campus will be opened. Beginning in 2003, the university has proposed an undergraduate enrollment increase of 389 students to be phased in over a seven-year period.

The proposed enrollment increase has become antagonizing fodder to many residents in the surrounding communities. Despite approval by Advisory Neighborhood Council 2E on June 6, area residents and neighborhood organizations have submitted letters and position papers detailing their opposition to Georgetown’s proposal.

One position paper representing the views of several neighborhood community organizations called for the release of off-campus students’ addresses and automobile license plate information. The paper also demanded that students sign waivers allowing for parental notification of off-campus student code violations.

Supporting students despite criticism from neighbors, Georgetown administrators enhanced the off-campus student affairs program over the summer at the request of the BZA. The Students’ Neighborhood Action Program and Alliance for Local Living were created to mitigate conflicts between residents and their student neighbors. The code of conduct was also strengthened, and now includes a new “co-curricular sanction,” which prohibits student violators from representing Georgetown in extracurricular activities including athletics.

The plan itself has passed through several obstacles on its path to Wednesday’s final decision, including recommendations from the D.C. Office of Planning and university changes. Originally proposed to the BZA Jan. 31, the plan’s future will be decided Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. at the Office of Zoning, One Judiciary Square, 441 4th St., NW.

Related Links

Neighbors Claim GU Inaction (11/3)

ANC Finalizes Proposal to BZA (10/31)

Forum Addresses Off-Campus Housing Issues for Students (10/24)

GUSA V.P. Submits Proposal To Help End GU-Neighbor Relations Problems (10/20)

Neighbors Seek Disclosure Of GU Student Information (10/17)