Three GUSA Senate Seats Remain Vacant Following Election

Georgetown students elected 22 of their classmates to serve as members of the Georgetown University Student Association Senate for the next year.

Thirty-four students ran for 25 seats in the election, and three of the seats were left vacant because of a lack of candidates. The university-owned townhouses, Harbin Hall floors 6 through 9 and Village A sections E through H are not represented in the newly elected GUSA Senate.

The Election Commission, which consisted of Heather Gartin (MSB ’11), Ryan Gavigan (COL ’11) and Adam Giansiracusa (SFS ’12), reported no problems with the election or the Instant Runoff Voting system, [which has proven problematic in past GUSA elections](https://www.thehoya.com/news/gusa-election-results-rejected/).

Using the IRV system, voters rank candidates in order of preference rather than voting for one candidate. The election commission did not release the breakdown of the IRV results.

This was the first election since [GUSA reduced the number of senators from 36 to 25](https://www.thehoya.com/news/gusa-shrinks-senate-seeking-reform/) in an effort to [increase accountability and attendance among senators](https://www.thehoya.com/news/8-senators-resign-gusa-seeks-resolution/).

Chris Pigott (COL ’12), Ace Factor (COL ’12), Yasmin Serrato (SFS ’13) and Eric Cusimano (SFS ’10) were elected at-large senators, which are new positions GUSA created in September. These senators will represent the student body as a whole without being associated with a specific residence. They have the same voting rights as the other senators.

“The Election Commission did an excellent job in executing a fair and speedy election,” said Nick Troiano (COL ’11), chair of the Senate Transition Team. Troiano was re-elected as a senator for Village A sections A through D.

The outgoing GUSA Senate met on Sunday to certify the election results.

GUSA has not yet determined how to seat senators in districts that are unrepresented due to a lack of candidates in the residence area. In the past, GUSA has run a special election to fill vacant seats, though Troiano said that GUSA will likely pursue a different solution in this case.

“The transition team recommended a process whereby the speaker of the Senate will present one or more candidates for the Senate to vote on and do away with the system of special elections,” Troiano said.

GUSA also passed two bylaws and a resolution regarding GUSA meetings. The bylaws concerned the allocation of $500 for the Senate retreat as well as the creation of a parliamentarian position to maintain order at GUSA meetings and a paid secretary to keep notes and maintain the senate roster. The paid secretarial position will be filled by a student paid $300 per semester from the GUSA operating budget.

*Winners*

**Alumni Square/Village B:** Matthew Hoyt

**At Large:** Eric Cusimano, Ace Factor, Yasmin Serrato, Chris Pigott

**Copley:** Kelly Rohrbach

**Darnall:** Jon-Matthew Hopkins

**Harbin 2-5:** Colton Malkerson

**Harbin 6-9:** No winner

**Henle 1-48:** Adam Mortillaro

**Henle 49-96:** Gregory Laverriere

**Kennedy:** Kyle Pienaar

**LXR:** Adam Talbot

**McCarthy:** Nicholaus Nelson-Goedert

**Nevils:** Sandy Glassberg

**New South:** Chetan Panda

**Off-Campus:** Josh Mogil, Susie Movitz, George Roche

**Reynolds:** Arman Ismail

**University Townhouses:** No winner

**Village A, A-D:** Nick Troiano

**Village A, E-H:** No winner

**Village C East:** Geraldine Miranda

**Village C West:** Ben Bold”