Underdog Hoya Lightweights Show Up Harvard; Heavyweights Dominate GW

The lightweight men will be tucking their oars away with smiles on their faces as they concluded their regular season last Saturday with a noteworthy victory over traditional power Harvard University, falling a mere 2.3 seconds short of nationally ranked No.2 Navy.

The Hoyas came into the meet as the underdogs, ranked No. 11, but the Blue and Gray soon out-rowed everyone’s expectations by keeping up with the pace of the powerhouses, and earning a respectful runner-up spot to a team of superior rowers.

“This was an exciting race for us,” varsity co-captain Billy Quirk said in a press release. “Navy put together a solid last 500 meters today, but our guys came away excited and hungry.”

The junior varsity and freshman squads placed third in their respectful events, rounding up an all-around solid performance by the Hoya lightweights.

The men’s heavyweight crew was victorious over George Washington upon the shores of the Potomac last Sunday, as all three varsity teams comprehensively overcame the Colonials in their respective races. The freshmen, however, fell 7.3 seconds behind the GWU freshman team and recorded the only loss for the Hoyas in the two schools’ annual spring meet.

The heavyweights have one race left in the regular season, as the Hoyas play host to Temple this Sunday on the Potomac River.

The women weren’t as successful as their male counterparts, but they nevertheless enjoyed a fourth-place finish at the Big East rowing championships in Tennessee, a vast improvement compared to last year’s seventh-place finish. The ladies in Blue and Gray recorded a total tally of 85 points, coming in behind first-place Notre Dame (123), runner-up Louisville (105) and third-place Syracuse (92).

“This was a great team event for us because we were competitive in every heat and race we rowed,” Head Coach Glenn Putyrae said in a press release. “To be competitive at Big Easts is a place that we talked about before the season began, as where we wanted to be.”

Georgetown finished third in the Second Varsity eight, a result Putyrae was particularly proud of.

“I’m really proud of the performances by our 2V8’s,” Putyrae said. “To row that well and finish third in that race earned us valuable points and, more importantly, confidence going forward.”

The women’s teams will have a break until May 11, when they play host to George Washington on the home shores of the Potomac River.