University Creates Disease Research Center

Georgetown University launched a Center for Infectious Diseases that unites researchers and scholars from multiple disciplines to study infectious diseases and their effects on the global community.

“The intent of the CID is to establish a group of Georgetown scientists with common interests in infectious diseases,” Richard Calderone, assistant professor of immunology and microbiology and a co-director of the CID, said in a press release issued in late July announcing the formation of the center this summer.  

Researchers and professors in 10 university departments on Georgetown ‘s main, medical and law campuses will work together to explore the facets of infectious diseases and their implications and effects in the medical, economic and legal realms. Students of all levels completing related research will also be working with the center.

According to Paul Roepe, co-director and a professor of microbiology, chemistry and molecular biology, the CID will centralize various faculty and researchers, and focus broadly on all elements of infectious diseases.

“Along with the obvious impact on human health, [infectious disease] cripples economies, further stresses the environment, and presents unique political and legal challenges for all nations,” Roepe said.

Steven Singer, co-director and assistant professor of biology, said that research at the center will focus broadly on different types of infectious diseases, including viral, parasitic and fungal diseases.

Roepe added that elements of the center will focus on the emerging concern of bioterrorism.

The center plans to bring speakers to Georgetown and host seminars and conferences on topics concerning infectious diseases. Its first conference will be on Feb. 5.

Singer said that he wants “the center to promote interactions among scientists and non-scientists interested in infectious diseases.”