University Installs Energy-Saving Sensors

In an effort to reduce energy consumption and decrease costs, the university has begun installing occupancy sensors in many rooms across the main campus and Medical Center.

The sensors detect body heat and movement with infrared and ultrasound technology and automatically turn lights on or off based on whether or not the room is occupied. Lights can still be switched on and off manually.

“External studies have shown that using these kinds of sensors can reduce power usage from 20 to 45 percent, depending on the space,” university spokesperson Julie Bataille said. “We estimate that this project could pay for itself within two years in cost savings from reduced power consumption.”

Sensors are being installed in the Intercultural Center, the Walsh Building and New North on the main campus and in the Basic Science Building, the Medical and Dental Building and Building D at the Medical Center. Bataille said the buildings were chosen because they “have the greatest potential for high energy consumption.”

In January, the university received a grade of B for its climate-change and energy policies in an environmental sustainability survey released by the Sustainable Endowments Institute.

“This is one example of Georgetown’s energy-saving initiatives,” Bataille said. “We plan to evaluate the success of this project before determining whether or not to expand the use of these devices in other locations.”

The project will cost $116,000, Bataille said. A $50,000 Institutional Energy Efficiency Grant from the District of Columbia will be used toward the project. Bataille said the university spends about $17 million per year on energy costs.

In their first days of operation, sensors installed in the ICC have experienced sporadic malfunctions. An inspection of most sensor-equipped ICC classrooms found some lights that did not turn on or off automatically. Most lights turned off within 30 seconds of the room becoming unoccupied.

Andrew Perrin (SFS ’10) said that the sensors disrupted his German business culture class on Tuesday in the ICC.

“The lights kept going off in the middle of class,” Perrin said. “Whenever the professor stopped walking, they went off.”

Sarah Snyder, an adjunct professor in the history department who teaches classes in two different ICC rooms, said that she has not seen any difference in light use since the sensors were installed.

“I have no sense that the sensors change anything,” she said. “Every time I go in the lights are on.”

Bataille said the university has adjusted the sensitivity of the sensors in response to complaints.

“Most faculty, students and staff have been supportive of the project,” Bataille said.

Despite the disruptions to his class, Perrin supports the initiative.

“I must say that it is good to see that the university is making an active effort against global warming and climate change,” he said. “It sets a good example.”