Ushering in Change, From the Newsroom to Campus

To our readers:

Three days ago, the staff of The Hoya gathered in our Leavey 421 office to elect the future of this newspaper. New faces joined the old guard of the newsroom with a renewed energy and enthusiasm for the collective mission of providing media of consistent quality.

At a time when the future of newspapers in general is unclear, it was encouraging to see that the tone of the day was forward-looking. We are prepared to respond to the constantly evolving face of modern media and grow as a reliable source of responsible journalism, in both our print and online formats.

Beyond content development, however, a perennial goal of The Hoya is an improved relationship with the Georgetown community. In the coming semester, I hope to see us make great strides on this front. We will seek to engage in a continuous dialogue with campus, in both formal and informal ways. We will make a concerted effort to not only keep a finger on the pulse of student life, but to also contribute to that pulse. We will always remember our responsibility to the community that we serve.

The identity of The Hoya, in the most comprehensive sense, has yet to be established. I urge you to join us in this effort, for no periodical is complete without you, our readers. Write a letter, submit a viewpoint, visit us online at www.thehoya.com and leave a Web comment. These pages are yours, and now is the time to claim them.

arissa Amendolia (COL ’11)

Editor in Chief, The Hoya”