Weekend GUTS Kicks Off

Saturday evening GUTS bus service to Dupont Circle was inaugurated last weekend with mixed success.

“The initial response was heartening. Even on a very cold January evening, over 100 riders took advantage of the bus,” Lynne Hirschfeld, senior business manager of the Office of Student Affairs, said.

Todd Olson, interim vice president of Student Affairs, added, “It went as smooth as possible.”

But GUSA President Brian Morgenstern (COL ’05), one of the first proponents of expanded service, said that turnout should improve in upcoming weeks as more students realize the service exists.

Hirschfeld said she remained optimistic that “with more publicity, and warmer weather, it is likely that future dates will draw even more riders.”

This pilot program will be held one weekend per month throughout the spring semester to determine if there is sufficient demand to merit the expansion of current GUTS service next year. The next trial will be on Saturday, Feb. 21.

“At the end of the semester, the response to the buses will be reviewed, and determinations will be made as to its success and its future,” Hirschfeld said.

Morgenstern, determined to deliver on one of his campaign promises, added, “I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the future.”

Since the university does not currently finance the nearly $500 per night for the expanded service, GUSA decided to support the program independently with the help of the class committees, Interhall, DPS, the Office of Student Affairs and the Office of University Facilities and Student Housing.

“It is expensive, and at present there is no designated source of funds to run the program on a more permanent basis,” Hirschfeld said. “But, if it fills a real need for Georgetown students, every effort will be made to try to continue it in some form.”

Rena Pacheco-Theard (SFS ’07) took advantage of the service for a quick trip to Cosi at Dupont Circle.

“I was more than happy that it was there for us because it was freezing out,” she said, adding that the lower-than-hoped for student turnout should not be a concern. “In time, more people will decide to use it.”