Women Down GMU in WNIT

Hoya File Photo Senior guard Dani Ilic contributed 11 points against the Patriots. The Georgetown women’s basketball team advanced to the second round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament with a 66-56 win at George Mason on Wednesday night.

The third time was the charm for the Hoyas as they erased memories of the past two years’ disappointing first-round exits from the WNIT. Senior guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy, a Second Team All-Big East selection, led the way with 24 points including four three-pointers as the Hoyas avenged a 66-64 loss to the Patriots earlier in the season at McDonough Gymnasium.

“It was a good win,” Head Coach Pat Knapp said. “George Mason had a very good year and it was a tough victory.”

“We definitely wanted to come out on top after two years,” Smrcka-Duffy said.

Georgetown had an edge in post-season experience over George ason. Whereas the Hoyas have gone to the WNIT for three consecutive years, the Patriots enjoyed their first selection to a postseason tournament.

“You’ve got to learn how to play in big games,” George Mason Head Coach Debbie Taneyhill said. “We had a lot of young kids there.”

However it was the Patriots who seemed like the postseason-savvy team, opening up a 12-5 lead early in the first half with the help of two three-pointers from Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Year Jen Derevjanik.

The Hoyas regained their composure to go on a 13-0 run over the next four minutes, capped by two free throws each from junior guard Lesley Walker and Smrcka-Duffy. With the score 18-12 and the momentum clearly on Georgetown’s side, George Mason’s sharpshooter, senior Jen Surlas, stopped the turning tide with a three-pointer. After hitting one of two free throws, Surlas shot another from beyond the arc to give the Patriots a 19-18 lead with five minutes and six seconds remaining.

Smrcka-Duffy answered back by scoring the next seven points including a three. But it was George Mason that came out on top at the half, scoring nine unanswered points topped by another Surlas three-pointer.

Smrcka-Duffy led Georgetown with 15 first-half points and Surlas had 12 for George Mason, but both teams shot an abysmal 32 percent from the field. Big East Rookie of the Year, freshman forward Rebekkah Brunson was limited to only two points on 1 for 6 shooting.

The Patriots built on their momentum from the first half as they went up 35-30 four minutes into the second half. But the Hoyas got help from their supporting cast as well as their stars. Senior guard Dani Ilic connected on two three-pointers, the second of which gave Georgetown its first lead of the half at 40-39. Brunson also came alive as she pounded it inside for 11 second-half points.

Seniors Surlas, Tish Wescott and Jill Regan hit key baskets in the half to keep George Mason within striking distance, but the Patriot’s postseason inexperience showed toward the end of the game.

“The younger players were hesitant to take a shot,” Taneyhill said. “We needed another scorer and we didn’t have that.”

Even though Georgetown was over the foul limit with 10 minutes 48 seconds left, the team continued to play aggressively and relentlessly go for the boards. A Brunson layup got the Hoyas the lead for good with 8:02 left. The Patriots managed to cut the lead to one, 53-52, after two Wescott free throws but they could not buy a bucket for the next four minutes.

After allowing five three-pointers in the first half, Georgetown changed its defensive strategy and used an effective zone defense to neutralize George Mason’s outside shooters.

“We had to make a point in the second half of staying on Surlas,” Knapp said.

The Hoyas forced the Patriots into uncomfortable shot situations, holding them to just 26 percent shooting in the half. They missed all six of their three-point attempts and Surlas was held to just six points.

After a Smrcka-Duffy shot gave Georgetown a 57-52 lead, it got the rest of its points on free throws. George Mason could not get an open look at the basket and was forced to foul in the last minute of regulation.

Brunson gave a strong performance in the second half to finish with 13 points and eight boards while Ilic chipped in 11 points.

Georgetown will face the winner of the Temple-James Madison game in the second round on Saturday.

Related Links

Women’s Basketball Page

Women’s Basketball Schedule

Women’s Basketball Roster