WOMEN’S SOCCER Ostrander Scores Two In Victory

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Karin Ostrander and the Hoyas picked up where they left off against Elon (shown above), downing UMBC 3-1. Ostrander scored two goals in the win.

The Georgetown women’s soccer team went back to work yesterday as it defeated the University of Maryland-Baltimore County 3-1 for its fourth straight win. This was the team’s first game since its win at home against Elon on Sept. 9, and it marked the resumption of Georgetown’s athletic schedule since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

Last year’s co-leader in goals, junior forward Karin Ostrander finally got on track as she got her first two goals of the season, including the game winner.

After the two teams observed a moment of silence before the game, Georgetown quickly showed off its impressive offensive attack. Eleven minutes into the game, Ostrander gave the Hoyas the early 1-0 lead off an assist from sophomore forward Courtney Shaub.

Just three minutes later, Georgetown struck again with what would prove to be the game-winner. Ostrander dribbled around two UMBC defenders and netted the ball past goalie Becky Hicock for her second goal of the season.

Carrying a 2-0 lead into the second half, the Hoyas pounced on the Retrievers’ defense again at the 52nd minute. This time it was sophomore forward Jessie Beers-Altman who pushed the ball across the goal line for her second goal of the season.

UMBC broke the shutout at the 62:51 mark with a goal from Missy oore but would not get any closer. Despite rough, physical play and trash-talking from Retriever players, the Hoyas upped its record to 4-1, the best start in the program’s history. The loss dropped the Retrievers to 1-3 for the season.

Georgetown goalies senior Shereena Chang and sophomore Alexis George, who replaced Chang in the 63rd minute, saw only four shots in the contest. The Hoyas attempted 13 shots on goal.

Yesterday’s match-up was a makeup date for a game that was supposed to take place Sept. 12. However, last weekend’s scheduled games against Colgate and Brown in the Brown Invitational were canceled.

Though the Hoyas played no games last week, they did practice every day including last Tuesday, a player-only practice.

This weekend, the Hoyas will begin Big East Conference play as they travel to Pittsburgh on Friday and then to Notre Dame on Sunday in two key Mid-Atlantic divisional games. The Panthers are currently 2-2 on the season while the undefeated Fighting Irish (3-0-1) are No. 4 in the nation according to Sept. 10’s National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll. Georgetown hopes to avenge last year’s 8-0 loss to Notre Dame, but the Irish feature the Big East Preseason Defensive Player of the Year, Vanessa Pruzinsky, and the nation’s leading goalkeeper last season, Elizabeth Wagner.

A year ago, the Hoyas defeated the Panthers 2-1 with goals from Beers-Altman and sophomore forward Jen Choiniere.