Still Looking for a Summer Internship?

I know what you did last summer. You worked at the Resident Housing Offices. Even though you basically got paid to watch trashy television and catch up on Dave Eggers or  Jodi Picoult whatever the kids are reading these days , you decided that this summer you’re going to do something different. You’re going to intern.

SAD TRUTH ALERT: If you haven’t figured out what you’re doing this summer, then it’s already too late.

Okay, that’s not 100% true but you should already have the ball rolling. Some crazy summer internships have their deadlines in November and December (CRAZY, AMIRITE. I mean its all like snowflakes and pumpkin pie at that time of year, not summer job hunt time!)

There is still hope for you if you get your act together within the next two weeks. But you’ve got to be aggressive and you’ve got to be determined. Say it with me: ‘No to RHO.’

Step 1: Explore the Interwebs

A really cool thing that people have started doing to help themselves find out stuff is called  ‘Google’. There’s like math and science and magic and WHAM – jobs galore. Apparently, this ‘googling’ phenomenon can be quite helpful.

In all seriousness, the internet is the best place to locate some potential summer jobs. The sites you visit most frequently are a tipoff to where you should think about interning. Are you always just clicking through Gawker? Toss your resume to some social media or entertainment upstarts. Basically any place that has a website, has an intern program. Papers like the Washington Post  usually also have job listings online that are worth perusing.

Step 2:  Make Your Own

Not all places advertise their internships. Not all places even realize they need interns. But if you like a place enough, draft an email inquiring about positions.

This works better if you’re planning on interning for free (who can turn down unpaid labor?) and if the place you’re interested in isn’t super high profile. A local public relations firm or non-profit would be the type of place this would work for.

Step 3: Talk to Professors

The educators at Georgetown got into teaching because they want to help people. I  know sometimes it doesn’t seem that way, but the naïve part of me wants to believe in good intentions. Most professors would be more than happy to get coffee with their students and chit-chat about summer plans. Sometimes things can spring out of those conversations that lead to more opportunities. Maybe Prof. X isn’t having a research lab this summer, but they know that Prof. Y does need some assistants.  Even if they don’t have a direct connection, if they are a professor in your field they will at least have some more career-tailored advice on what you should be looking for.

Step 4: Don’t be Afraid to Re-Locate (and think beyond N.Y.)

I’m a big fan of the D.C. Internship scene. I could go on and on about all the opportunities in the area. But, that being said, don’t be afraid to get out of the District or even out of New York. There are plenty of great internships all around the country. Think big!

Also, most of those places outside of high-traffic intern cities (i.e. N.Y. and D.C.) have less applicants so you have a better shot at getting to work at really cool places. Even unpaid internships might be willing to negotiate a living stipend.

Step 5: Polish up

Re-re-re-re-re read your cover letter and resume. And then do it again. And then send it to a friend. And then drop it off at the Career Center. Seriously. If you take this advice, you’re welcome.

Step 6: Celebrate

Go wild and crazy at Tombs.

And by wild and crazy, I mean order yourself that Tombs Brownie Sundae. You deserve it.

Step 7: Plan B

Work at the RHO.

Photo: billiejo.wordpress.com