Incoming School of Nursing Dean Receives Excellence in Governance Award

Roberta Waite, the incoming dean at Georgetown University’s newly established School of Nursing, received Modern Healthcare magazine’s Excellence in Governance Award.

The award, presented by the medical industry’s leading source of health care news, recognizes influential individuals who serve on a board of directors for a health care organization and aid in advancements in culture, mission and performance in the health care industry. Waite was recognized April 16 for her longtime service on the board of Trinity Health, one of the largest non-profit Catholic health care systems in the United States, which operates 92 hospitals in 22 states.

Waite was named the incoming dean of the Georgetown School of Nursing on Dec. 15, following an announcement in 2020 that the Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies would be split into two new undergraduate schools. Following this change, the Georgetown School of Health will accompany the nursing program.

Waite’s acceptance of this award comes just a few months before she assumes the position at the School of Nursing when the school officially opens July 1.

According to Waite, the award serves as recognition of the important work she was able to accomplish at Trinity Health to make healthcare more equitable and oriented toward social justice. At Trinity Health, Waite worked to expand community health and well-being programs, as well as assisting with the non-profit’s diversity, equity and inclusion hiring initiatives.

Georgetown NHS | Incoming School of Nursing dean Roberta Waite was awarded Healthcare Magazine’s Excellence in Governance Award just months before she assumes her position at Georgetown.

“It really highlights the work, really our focus that we’ve been striving to address, particularly with our focus on health equity and social justice, and living the values of our Catholic organization, which is serving those who are poor, serving those that are in need of help, and to promote health equity,” Waite said in an interview with The Hoya. 

Advocating for just health policies and humanizing health care practices will be important lessons to be imparted on students in the School of Nursing, according to Waite.

“My work around diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism and anti-oppressive practices, those are things that are really important for students to understand how they show up in practice, how they show up in our interactions, and how that we can work more effectively with others, so that they can thrive in their lives and be as healthy as they can be,” Waite said. “So it’s not just a matter of providing health care, but we also have to understand the cultural context of our society.” 

The award highlights Georgetown University medical leaders’ confidence in Waite’s ability to utilize her experience at Trinity Health working for gains in health equity to reflect Georgetown’s values, according to Edward Healton, executive vice president of health sciences and executive dean of the School of Medicine.

“Dr. Waite’s accomplishments provide tangible examples of real-world, impactful leadership that exemplify the Jesuit values of Georgetown,” Healton wrote to The Hoya. “We have much to learn from Dr. Waite and are so pleased she’ll be joining us for the launch of a critically important new school responsible for training members of our health care workforce who will carry forward the spirit of Georgetown.”

Waite said she hopes to connect with the Georgetown community and see how she can translate her work for health care equity into the classroom as she transitions into her new position.

“I’m very excited about the transition, getting to know people more both the faculty, the staff, the students, connecting with alumni, as well as engaging with the community,” Waite said. “So those are really important things. And really just getting acclimated to Georgetown. I’m thrilled. I want folks to get to know me, as well as me getting to know Georgetown, and really engaging in meeting people.”

Julia Ferrante (NHS ’24) said she looks forward to continuing her nursing education under Waite’s leadership, given Waite’s accomplishments in the healthcare field.

“I am so excited for the School of Nursing to launch and to study under Dean Waite, whose leadership in health care is incredibly inspiring for those of us pursuing careers in medicine,” Ferrante wrote to The Hoya.

Nursing education goes beyond the scientific basics, but rather requires a complex understanding of the sociocultural aspect of health care and the root of health disparities in society.

“So much of the work we’re talking about with nursing is about improving the health of individuals, families and communities,” Waite said. “Understanding a lot about community, population health policy, those are really key and important components of nursing education experience, as well as improving sort of the contextual understanding of people’s lives.”