Put Down Your Phone to Save Lives

tap projectMIT professor, psychologist and author Sherry Turkle once wrote, “Always on/always-on-you communications devices are seductive for many reasons, among them, they give you the sense that one can do more, be in more places and control more aspects of life.” She’s right: Such devices are ubiquitous and useful. Today, cell phones seem to be more an extension of the hand than a separate technology tool.

And that’s partially why UNICEF (the United Nations Children’s Fund) is asking you to put your cell phone down. Cell phones are clearly important, but they aren’t as important as clean water — something 768 million people worldwide cannot access.

That’s where UNICEF’s Tap Project comes in.

The UNICEF Tap Project is based on a simple challenge: Give up some of your phone time to give others access to clean water. According to the Project’s website, “For every minute you don’t touch your phone, our sponsor can provide one day of clean water to a child in need.”

All you need to do is visit uniceftapproject.org on your mobile device. Set down your cell phone on a flat surface and don’t touch it. The website will begin the clock after a few seconds, and the timer will end when your phone is moved again. Remember, with this initiative, every second counts!

The UNICEF Tap Project is a win-win, Hoyas. Not only can you provide clean drinking water to those who need it, but you can also spend some precious time away from your phone. Perhaps you could head over to The Hoya for all the latest headlines or even pay a visit to the UNICEF Tap Project website for more details about the efforts. Either way, put those phones down and go!

Also, I’m already at five minutes. Get on my level.

Photo: greentravels.blogspot.com