The Super Bowl for Dummies

Super Bowl for Dummies

The day everyone has been waiting for is finally here. Football fans and commercial die-hards alike get their fix on this nationally celebrated occasion. The Super Bowl has finally arrived, and we here at 4E want to make sure all of our fellow Hoyas are well prepared for the event. So, here is a guide to the who, where and what to eat of the Super Bowl.

Who’s Who

The 14-4 New England Patriots will battle the 14-4 Seattle Seahawks on Sunday night. The Patriots bring in a high-powered offense led by Tom Brady and slightly deflated footballs. The Seahawks will send out arguably the best defense in the NFL to try and slow down Brady. In charge of stopping Brady will be Richard Sherman and the rest of the Seattle secondary, otherwise known as the “Legion of Boom.” The Seahawks’ offense is led by quarterback Russell Wilson who is coming off a four interception performance in the NFC Championship and will need to bounce back. The workhouse of the Seattle offense is running back Marshawn “Beast Mode” Lynch. Beast Mode may not have a lot to say in his interviews, but his play on the field will absolutely need to speak for itself if the Seahawks want to have a chance against the Pats.

Patriots’ Key Players: QB Tom Brady, TE Rob Gronkowski, RB LeGarrette Blount, DT Vince Wilfork, Aaron Hernandez (while he may not actually be playing, the former Pats tight end’s trial for murder began this week – it’s absolutely something to keep an eye on)

Seahawks’ Key Players: RB Marshawn Lynch, QB Russell Wilson, CB Richard Sherman/Legion of Boom

With that said, look for one of the following players to steal the show on Sunday…

National Anthem: Idina Menzel, who sings “Let it Go” from Frozen will have the honor of singing the national anthem before kickoff. This is quite the honor for Menzel. That same stage has been host to legendary artists such as Whitney Houston, Carrie Underwood and Billy Joel, to name a few.

Halftime Show: For those of you not-so-huge football fans, the halftime show will be none other than California Girl Katy Perry. Perry says she has a whole brand new show planned for halftime, and will be joined by Lenny Kravitz and another secret special guest. Word on the street is Perry cut out Thin Mints to be in performance-ready shape come Sunday.

Where is it

The game itself will be played at the University of Phoenix Stadium which is ironically located in Glendale, Arizona. Kickoff is set for 6:30 pm and can be found on NBC. Super Bowl parties are always a good time and would be a great excuse to gather friends and not do homework on a Sunday.

However, if neither you nor your friends have cable, ample seating space or the necessary funds to host, don’t worry, our friends at Georgetown Program Board have you covered. They will be hosting a watch party in the Healey Family Student Center with free Wingo’s wings, Domino’s Pizza, DC Cupcakes and soda. Here is the link for the Facebook event, and if you do not have anywhere to head for the Super Bowl, I highly suggest turning this into your own personal Super Bowl Party and taking advantage of the opportunity. The event officially begins at 6:30, but the Program Board suggests coming early to make sure you get a good seat.

What do I eat?

The Super Bowl is just as much about food as it is about football. As I just said, the game watch in HFSC will have all the Super Bowl Sunday essentials. Throwing a party and not sure what to get for your guests? Easy, wings and pizza. Nothing says “Super Bowl” quite like wings and pizza. In fact, about 1.25 billion chicken wings are expected to be eaten during the game, which is just about four wings for every American. So give Wingo’s a call and order at least four wings for everyone at your party (I would probably suggest more than four a person, but that’s just me). 50 wings at Wingo’s will cost you $47.99 before delivery and tax. In addition, any good host needs to have a strong snack game. Most people will be glued to the game and cannot be bothered to get up, so a great spread of snacks is crucial. Things like chips and guac/salsa are classics, but don’t hesitate to get creative. Buffalo chicken dip is a personal favorite, but feel free to make your own snack choices for your own party.

This year’s Super Bowl will hopefully be a little more entertaining than last year’s blowout, but either way it is a great way to get friends together and enjoy each other’s company, or at least to just take a break from schoolwork for a few hours. So kick back, relax, enjoy the game and find out if the Seattle Seahawks can repeat, or if the golden boy Tom Brady will spoil their fun. Also, be sure to keep an eye out during the commercials, because sometimes they outshine the actual game. Happy Super Bowl Sunday Georgetown.

P.S. Maybe the Super Bowl is not your style. Well, The Puppy Bowl will be airing at 3 :00 pm on the Animal Planet and is exactly what you would hope for. It is a bunch of puppies running around with football toys. Enjoy.

Photos/Gifs: giphy.com; https://ciudadypoder.mx/