A Hoya’s Guide to Last-Minute Costumes

Last Minute Costumes

The greatest day of the year is almost upon us! That’s right Hoyas — in just a few short hours campus will be overrun with ghouls, goblins and other more creative costumes. If you’re planning on taking part in the #debauchery (and who wouldn’t be?) then a great costume is more necessary than a double shot of espresso during finals.

However, given the hectic past few weeks of midterms, parents‘ weekend and Homecoming, many of you may find yourselves in a costume-less predicament. If your lack of a costume is starting to worry you, and you’re actually considering not partaking in all the festive fun, then have no fear! 4E is here with a guide for some last-minute costumes that are somewhat creative and fairly easy to put together.

A Charlie Brown Halloween: If you’ve never seen this classic then you’re definitely missing out! Nothing screams Halloween quite like a ghost costume made out of a sheet with a bunch of holes. You might even receive some rocks when you go trick-or-treating on Embassy Row. For this look, all you need is a white sheet and a Sharpie or black construction paper to make it look like it’s covered in holes. Bonus points if you walk around with a rock all night saying “I got a rock” to anyone you see.

Koala and Tree: Looking for the perfect couple costume for you and your significant other? Or do you just have a really tall roommate and only couple costumes work with your height difference (the struggle is real)?  If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this is the costume for you! For the koala look, rock your best groutfit, throw on some animal ears and paint your nose a la the classic animal-for-Halloween look. For the tree, wear green on top and brown on bottom, and feel free to get creative with your use of leaves and branches to authenticate the look. Such accessories can be found all over Healy Lawn because it’s fall.

Shackers/Walk of Shamers/Stride of Priders: This costume is super easy because you actually put effort into looking as disheveled as possible. No need to flawlessly reapply makeup and style hair to achieve this look! I recommend getting ready and then taking a nap before you join in on the fun so you look as disorderly as possible. Before heading out, just throw an oversized shirt on over an undersized dress and feel free to accessorize as you see fit! Grab some sunglasses and heels to carry around. Dudes can do this too: Pour various colored drinks on your wrinkled and torn button up, throw on some sunglasses and one shoe.

“God’s Gift to Men/Women”: So you think you’re pretty great, huh? Yeah, well why not dress yourself as a present with a bow and attach a gift tag that says “To: Men/Women. From: God”.  Basically you can use this holiday as an excuse to show off just how awesome you think you are really are.

10-lazy-and-lecherous-last-minute-halloween-costumes.w654

#Basic: Need some inspiration for this look? Look no further than Red Square between class times. You’re sure to see some fellow Hoyas rocking the flannel-infinity scarf/vest/riding boots combination! Replicate their outfits, find a Starbucks cup and write PSL (Pumpkin Spice Latte for you non #Basics) on it and go around saying things like “Which Instagram filter do you think I should use?”

The 99 percent versus The 1 percent:  This costume can be perfectly executed with just two people and minimal effort. Find yourself a friend in the MSB or someone with some spiffy business professional attire to be the 1 percent and dress up like the 99 percent by dressing as casually as possibly (yes, groutfits are acceptable). Make signs saying “I’m the __ percent” like in the picture below and you’ll absolutely kill it!

“When Life Gives You Lemons”: Step one: obtain a white shirt. Step two: write “LIFE” on your white shirt. Step three: carry around a bowl of lemons. BAM! A Halloween costume that required so little effort it’s ridiculous.

Royal Babies: Draw your inspiration from the greats and have a very royal Halloween. Grab two other friends and dress as Blue Ivy, North West and Prince George. You can go for the actual looks of these famous toddlers or go for a looser interpretation. Costumes could include an all blue outfit with fake ivy or leaves as accessories, a compass made out of cardboard pointing northwest or a British flag and a crown.

“One Night Stand”: This one really isn’t easy to make and definitely requires more effort than the rest, but it’s can be pretty hilarious. Use cardboard or some other sturdy material to put together a nightstand which you can wear around yourself.  Put a lampshade on your head and glue down some other bedside accessories like an alarm clock or picture frame.  Finally, enjoy the plentiful compliments your sure to receive on your creativity.

So there you have it, procrastinating Hoyas: A few costume suggestions to ensure that you have a very happy Halloween! Remember to take part in lots of #debauchery on this great holiday and stay safe.

Photos: pinimeg.com, on sugar.com, jp9.com, cloudfront.net, playborhood.com