Best Bets: Feeling Presidential

Still looking for things to fill the three-day weekend? We’ve got you covered with this week’s Best Bets to ensure that you have an awesome President’s Day Weekend!

FRIDAY

Are you a scary movie fanatic? If so, head out to the Black Cat (1811 14th St. NW) for Friday Night Frights from 7:00pm to 8:30pm. They’re showing two episodes of the HBO American horror anthology, Tales from the Crypt. Admission is free and, if you’re over 21, there are some awesome drink specials. Black Cat is only three blocks from the U Street/Cardozo Metro Station which makes it a convenient hot spot for all Georgetown students. Bring some friends because you won’t want to walk home alone after a night of terror.

SATURDAY

You don’t have to go far to have a great Saturday night – in fact, you can stay right on campus (which is convenient given the frigid winter weather). Head over to Bulldog Alley in the Leavey Center from 9:00pm to 1:30am for a Murder Mystery party and the showing of the movie Clue. Come prepared with your best detective skills to try to piece together the mystery as you search for the murderer. Dress in 1920’s themed attire in order to better immerse yourself in your role.

SUNDAY

The Next Big Thing Tour, which features over twenty local alternative and punk acts, has its next stop at the 9:30 Club (815 V. St. NW). The concert starts at 11:00 a.m. and lasts all day with a new act every twenty to thirty minutes. Stop by, even if for only a little while – you never know when one of these undiscovered bands will make it big. Tickets are $15 and are only available at the door the day of the concert.

MONDAY

It’s well worth it to trek out to Old Town Alexandria, Virginia from 1:00pm to 3:00pm to watch what’s being touted as “the largest parade celebrating Washington’s birthday in the USA!” The parade features bands, floats, wagons, horses, historic reenactment units, youth groups and special performances. Take the Yellow Line to the Eisenhower Avenue Metro Station, where a DASH bus will shuttle people downtown to the parade between 11am to 4pm, free of charge. During the day, everyone will have free admission to various historic Alexandria sites.

Photo: princeofpetworth.com