Casual Thursday: 007

Vesper Martini

Its name is Thursday, Casual Thursday. With Skyfall now playing in theaters, we at the Hoya couldn’t help but give a little shout out to the sexiest, British-Secret-Service-Agent known to the fictional world. James Bond has made the Vesper a symbol of luxury, power, and sex. So who wouldn’t want to order a “vodka martini. Shaken. Not stirred.”?  The answer… no one. Everyone secretly wants to be that chiseled god…who “mixes business with girls and thrills.”

A little history behind the Vesper: the original recipe calls for three measures of Gordon’s Dry Gin, one measure of good Vodka (not Burnett’s), a half a measure of Lillet (an expensive French appertif wine with hints of herb and lemon), and a large lemon peel for garnish. The Bond Girl is then supposed to shake these ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice, strain, serve it, and proceed to the bedroom.

The point is a Vesper is not necessarily available to most Hoyas…a good martini can be pretty pricey. Our staple drinks seem to be Natty Light or flavored Burnett’s and some sort of fizzy chaser. So what to do? You want a casual Thursday, but you want your drink of choice on the caliber of 007’s.

Try these recipes!

The Hoya Vesper

>Three measures of dry gin

>One and a half measures of Lemon Burnett’s

>One lemon peel (if you are feeling extra fancy)

Measure into your make-shift-red-solo-cup-cocktail-shaker. Gently shake (you do not want to melt the ice or break your priceless shaker). Strain and pour into your finest red solo cup. Serve with a dash of lemon juice for a little extra pizazz.

007 Punch (for a gathering)

>Two 2-liter servings of dry gin

>One bottle of Lemon Burnett’s

>One 2-liter bottle of Minute Maid Lemonade

Mixes easy. Just add people. Be sure to blast Adele’s Skyfall

Photo cred: https://hellotailor.tumblr.com/post/34359769446/shaken-not-stirred-the-perfect-james-bond-martini