Common Room Cooking: Tomato and Mozzarella

So you think you want to be a chef? Miss the feel of a home cooked meal? Maybe you just want to pull out your iPhone and show off your latest creation. Coming to college, I knew that I would be missing one thing dearly, my mother, and let’s face it, her cooking. Leo’s isn’t exactly a replacement. So what is one to do? Lets get to it: cooking in the common room!

Now if you’re feeling particularly lazy, there’s always a great microwave option. You can make everything from oatmeal to mac and cheese in there and never have to bat an eyelash.

Personally, I love to go to the Farmer’s Market on Wednesday and stock up on some great bread and tomatoes. Make a trip to Vittles, Safeway or Whole foods (wonderland that it is) to pick up some mozzarella cheese, arugula, and balsamic vinegar. With just a few simple ingredients, you could be making yourself the most beautiful sandwiches with little to no effort. Sprinkle with a little olive oil and mozzarella cheese while its hot, and the mozzarella will melt right in.

While you’re at the grocery store pick up some pasta; arguably the easiest food to cook in the world. With the same ingredients as above, you could have a delicious dinner. Just don’t forget the wine (assuming you’re over 21).

There you have it, you’re on your way to becoming the next top chef. Hey, I even heard that someone managed to make sushi in the common room. That could be you! Take your stomach into your own hands, okay, that sounds a little iffy, maybe don’t do that. Oh, what’s that noise off in the next room? The mystery, the drama….Well, it’s not you’re stomach grumbling after a nice common-room cooked meal!

PS Maybe add a Nutella creation for dessert? DO IT.

Photo: Anna Goldberg/The Hoya