Keeping History Alive: Partners in Preservation

partners-in-preservation copy

The time has come to cast your vote and let history continue to flourish in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. Voting has just opened for Partners in Preservation, an American Express and National Trust Historic Preservation initiative that will award $1 million in grants to locations in the D.C. area. And Partners in Preservation is asking for your help to award the first $100,000.

The preservation effort is inviting the public to visit their website and cast their vote to choose 1 of 24 exciting, local historical locations to receive up to $100,000 in grant funding (the rest of the grants will go to the remaining 23 historical locations in various amounts, based on the recommendations of an advisory board of D.C. community leaders). The public voting will be based on a points system, and points are received through votes online and promotions through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and foursquare.

The Preservation efforts might even land in our own backyard. Currently, Georgetown University’s Heyden Observatory sits at #3 on the voting list. If the Observatory would win, restoration funds would be put towards restoring the building’s exterior. Other top contenders include the Washington National Cathedral, the Sixth and I Historic Synagogue and Mount Vernon.

To learn more about Partners in Preservation and how to cast your vote, check out the video below:

Only you can decide the winner, Hoyas, and only 16 days remain to cast your decision! Vote away and keep history alive!