Post-Parents’ Weekend Survival Guide

survive on a dime

If your parents came this weekend, then listen up because you are most likely going through the same withdrawals that I am. For the last three days you have feasted at M Street’s finest culinary locations, walked countless miles on the mall and have expelled too much mental energy trying to figure out how to get your parents to feed your shopping addiction.

Parent’s weekend comes at a perfect time. The leaves are falling, the air is crisp, but before you know it, it’s Sunday night and you haven’t even started Monday’s homework. So, say goodbye to free brunches and three-course dinners and say hello to Leo’s and ramen. But don’t fret because here is a step-by-step guide to get you through the week.

Sunday night: After you have said those final goodbyes to the fam following a fabulous dinner, hit up your favorite study spot. Bust out that work that you’ve been putting off all weekend. You may be in a food coma, but savor the feeling because you have just stuffed your pie-hole with an all you can eat free dinner.

Monday: You have been trying for as long you as you can to put this thought out of your head, but the trek to Leo’s is inevitable. Yes, dining hall food may not be on par with brunch at Peacock Café, but think of it this way: You’ve had the chance to eat out all weekend. Get creative at O’Donovan’s by the Waterfront and make something to be proud of. If all else fails, just go straight for the ice cream and we won’t judge you because we know withdrawal is tough.

Tuesday: Wear sweats. Just do it. Your parents are no longer here so it’s time to break out the pajamas for class. That elastic waistband is calling your name. You’ll be thanking me later.

Wednesday: You’re feeling pretty proud of yourself because you’ve managed to survive two days on pure meal swipes. You’re craving a Wisey’s sandwich and an Oreo cookie. DO NOT BE WEAK. Sure, you have that $20 your dad slipped you before leaving, but save that for the weekend because you’re really going to need it then. Instead, make a pasta dinner with your roomies in your apartment or floormates in the common room. It’s cheap and can help you wean yourself off of your parents’ free food.

helpme

Thursday: You most likely hit up that Vineyard Vines sale or were a part of the J Crew frenzy last week, so appreciate your new fall wardrobe. Organize yourself and you’ll be feeling stress free for the weekend.

Friday: Congratulations, you have made it to the weekend! Since you have been such a tough cookie, go ahead and treat yourself. We know your more upset by the absences of your loving family than the absence of the dinners at El Centro so spend that extra $20 on whatever your heart desires. You deserve it.

treatyo