Student Group Spotlight: Groove Theory

studentgroupspotlight

In each installment of this series, we will be highlighting one lesser-known group on campus. For this week’s Student Group Spotlight, we interviewed Margaret Krackeler (NHS ’16) of Groove Theory.

For those who don’t know, what is Groove Theory?
Groove Theory is Georgetown’s co-ed hip hop dance group that performs at various school and group events all over campus and the DC area.
What is your favorite thing about being part of this group?
My favorite thing about Groove Theory is that I got to meet people who share a common love of dance, but otherwise come from various backgrounds and histories. I would never have been able to meet some of my closest friends without Groove Theory because we really do become like a family of sorts. It’s hard not to get super close when we spend so much time together doing something we love, so I’m forever grateful for all my Groove Theory friendships.
How many performances do you guys do every year?
Every year, we have one showcase, perform at Midnight Madness, one Basketball halftime and about 5-8 events that are sponsored by other groups (e.g. Relay, Unity Live, etc).
What was your favorite performance? 
My favorite performance every year is usually Midnight Madness. This year at midnight madness, we had a really hype mix that the crowd responded to well, including the basketball players who we danced right in front of, so it was really fun to see everyone getting into our dance. We also ended with the women’s basketball team coming onto the court and dancing with us for a minute or so, which was super fun.
Any hints on what to expect at the showcase on Friday?
Showcase this Friday is going to be a really fun show! We have really great opening and closing mixes and a lot more variety in our shorter pieces between the two. We also have fun outside groups coming, and the always fun Twerking contest for audience members (last year one of our members’ dad’s won!).
Thanks Margaret for answering our questions! If you haven’t gotten your ticket for Groove Theory’s showcase on Friday, check out the Facebook event here. And check out the Facebook page for Groove Theory here. There’s also a full feature on the event in the Guide.