Sunday Night Wrapup: Still Hungry

From the premiere of the Hunger Games to the opening ceremony of the Cherry Blossom Festival, this weekend has been exciting and full of activity. But in case you didn’t have the chance to keep up with the news, Sunday Night Wrapup has got you covered.

• Thousands of fans dressed up as their favorite characters from the Hunger Games on Thursday night to sit in crowded theatres all over the country to see the much anticipated film adaptation of the best-selling novel. The movie made over $150 million in its opening weekend, the third biggest opening three-day weekend of all-time.
  • On Saturday afternoon, demonstrators rallied at Freedom Plaza to show support for Trayvon Martin, an African-American teen who was shot and killed by a neighbor volunteer, George Zimmerman, a month ago in Sanford, Florida. This event has sparked rallies against racism all over the country.
  • Gaston Hall was alive on Saturday night for the Spring Charity Fashion Show, Into the Wild, which featured many gorgeous models and performances by the GU Bindaas, our very own Tate Tucker, and Groove Theory. All proceeds benefited the Roslin Orphanage in West Timor, Indonesia. Congratulations to all of the amazing performers, models, and the dedicated staff for all of their hard work!
  • This Sunday marked the beginning of the Cherry Blossom Festival, a five-week celebration to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Japan’s gift of cherry trees to the United States. The opening ceremony took place at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and was headlined by Grammy award winner, Sara Bareilles.

Photo: The Washington Post