Casual Thursday: Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue

Today is my second favorite holiday of the year, and it’s also Thursday. You know what that means? A very special Flag Day edition of Casual Thursday!

I know what you’re thinking – Flag Day is super lame. Wrong! Flag Day is like a mini 4th of July—fewer fireworks, less day drinking, but just as much excitement about the American flag. But just because we didn’t get off work today doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate with drink that has some unnatural blue food coloring.

This patriotic margarita from Coastal Living has all the requisite colors for a Flag Day party.

It also features Hypnotiq, which according to Wikipedia, was created by a college dropout living with his parents on Long Island after he saw a bright blue perfume at Bloomingdale’s and wanted to create a liqueur of the same hue. If you’ve never had it before, it tastes like the color blue.

Ingredients:
Frozen strawberries
Dark Rum
Coconut Milk
Pineapple Juice
Lime Juice
Ice
Hypnotiq

1. Puree thawed frozen strawberries.

2. Blend 2 tablespoons each of the strawberry puree, dark rum, coconut milk, pineapple juice, fresh lime juice, and ½ cup crushed ice in a blender until smooth.

3. Pour 2 to 4 tablespoons Hypnotiq into a glass, and top with 2 to 4 tablespoons of the strawberry mixture.

And what better way to relax, celebrate Flag Day and be a little nostalgic than to watch some classic Nickelodeon: Salute Your Shorts. Camp Anawanna always welcomes you. You can find episodes from the first season on iTunes and Amazon.

Stay casual, Hoyas.

Photos: costalliving.com, ioffer.com