Casual Thursdays: Paddy vs. Patty

casual thursdays st pattys

Every year, as green beads start appearing in CVS and Luck of the Irish plays on Disney Channel, the age-old debate starts anew: Is it St. Paddy’s or St. Patty’s? In good Irish tradition, as the beer flows faster and the passion runs higher, so here at 4E we thought it best to duke it out before we give ourselves over to celebrating a saint that did something with snakes.

The Traditionalists These are the true Irish, the ones whose blood, sweat, and tears have a delightful tint of green all year. Easily identified by last names starting with Mc or O’, these merry folk tend to turn as red as their hair when exposed to the sun. They argue that this noble holiday celebrates their Irish heritage and, as such, it is only proper that we refer to it as St. Paddy’s, the name used in Ireland (because Patty is a girl’s name anyway). Furthermore, they made their own website to prove to us that besides possessing otherworldly tolerances and an absurd amount of freckles, they too can use the Internet.

Recommended Drink: Irish Car Bomb (recipe below)

The Progressives This crowd fully embraces the motto “Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day!” These day-drinker warriors would never let their ancestry hold them back from a good party, and therefore are often spotted wearing t-shirts with vaguely-Irish-but-mostly-alcoholic messages: “Kiss me I’m (Almost) Irish”, “Shake Your Shamrocks”, “Irish I Were Drunk”. They interpret the phrase “Erin Go Bragh” as having something to do with a drunken lady losing her clothing, but have dyed their milk green every March 17th since third grade. They believe in cheap beer and America, and in that vein, don’t give a damn what they call it in Ireland when St. Patty’s makes more sense anyway. After all, you don’t call you friend Patrick Pad do you? That would be weird.

Recommended Drink: Peppermint Patty (recipe below)

Our drinks this week are guaranteed to get even the stoutest of Irishmen into the holiday spirit, so for those of you who would prefer to avoid a literal pub crawl down Prospect, take it easy and mix in a green-tinted water.

Irish Car Bomb Celebrating all things Irish

• Pint of Guinness
  • ½ shot of Bailey’s (Irish Cream)
  • ½ shot of Irish Whiskey (preferably Jameson)
  1. Pour the Guinness into your shamrock studded beer mug.
  2. Fill a shot glass with an equal mix of Bailey’s and whiskey
  3. Drop the shot into your beer and chug for the love of St. Paddy (serves 1)

Peppermint Patty Letting your friends pour things in your mouth

• Chocolate syrup
  • Peppermint Schnapps
  • A trusted friend
  1. Sit on something stable and tilt your head back
  2. Have your friend squirt chocolate sauce in your mouth followed by a shot of Peppermint Schnapps
  3. Wipe off your face–chances are slim that your “friend” managed to keep all that in your mouth and off your witty St. Patty’s day shirt.

Well, whether it’s Patty’s or Paddy’s, we at 4E are going to try both of these drinks! Enjoy and be responsible!

Photo: bp.blogspot.com, Foodista