App Aims to Be Tinder for Job Market

COURTESY NSPHIRE
COURTESY NSPHIRE

Swipe, swipe, swipe, match. You’re hired.

Well, it may require more than a few swipes to get hired, but nspHire starts the conversation by matching employers and job seekers through a quick swiping process similar to that of popular dating app Tinder.

Founded by Georgetown alumni Rasheen Carbin (SFS ’98) and Dan Mullaney (COL ’00, GRD ’12), the app officially launched in late October. Both job seekers and employers post summaries of 140 words. For job seekers, the app is free and allows them to swipe quickly to find jobs that suit their abilities.

Currently, there are more than three million jobs and 10,000 job seekers on the app.

“I just wanted the control and the adventure of starting a company,” Carbin said. “I liked the idea of having a vision and seeing if I could make it come true. And I had an appetite for risk, so I wasn’t worried about leaving a nine-to-five job.”

Just as in Tinder, job seekers can hide any information they wish, including salary requirement and photos. Employers can post jobs and look for applicants for free, but they pay nspHire based on the number of chats they start.

The app started as a program called MBA Project Search. Shortly after Mullaney earned his MBA from the McDonough School of Business, he created MBA Project Search to match employers and freelance workers.

A month and a half into the project, Mullaney decided he needed some help and enlisted Rasheen in the MBA Project Search part-time. In the startup’s early days, Mullaney worked with MSB Assistant Dean for Communications Teresa Mannix to gain publicity for the group. Mannix heard about Mullaney’s project from a feature in the Washington Examiner. The project was also mentioned on the MBA-focused website Poets and Quants.

The team began moving away from the MBA Project Search in February 2014. In April 2014, they began nspHire’s app development and launched in late October 2014.

Over that period of time, Darryl Glover joined as a co-founder while Paige Strawn (MSB ’16) interned for nspHire.

Once a job seeker swipes right on a job, the app notifies the employer, who can then request a resume or begin a chat if interested. If not, the employer can place the job seeker in the declined folder. The app’s geographical boundaries are also far more wide-reaching than those of Tinder, as both employers and employees can look in any areas they specify.

“In some sense, it’s more fair,” Nick Shedd (SFS ’18) said of the app’s premise. “You’re not discriminating based on your interaction with someone. You’re just looking at their actual achievements, but also it’s a really weird modified view of people where someone’s picture and a brief blurb about them is defining if they’re a good candidate for your job.”

The launch in October follows a six-month hiatus the founders took to rework the app.

“We realized that we needed a way to allow employers to post jobs online,” Mullaney said. “It’s still very challenging. You can get as many job seekers as you want, but if you can’t get jobs, you turn the job seekers away.”

According to Carbin, none of the founding members are technical or have the ability to code the app. Instead, they outsourced the developing of the program to a team in India called Offshorent.

“They weren’t always very good about keeping deadlines and they don’t always understand what we want from them,” Carbin said. “So it took us quite a while to develop the app and then it took us quite a while to develop the site that we just relaunched with.”

Now that nspHire has relaunched, it includes a fully functional website for job seekers and employers. As a result of popular request, it now also allows employers to ask for a resume before deciding whether they want to start a chat session with the job seeker. The app is available for free on both the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.

Correction: This article previously stated that Dan Mullaney graduated from the Georgetown School of Business in 1998. He graduated from Georgetown College in 2000 and received his MBA in 2012. Poets and Quants was also referred to as being a publication in the McDonough School of Business. Poets and Quants is an independent publication.