Business Bits — Oct. 10, 2014

Women in Business

Katie Burke, executive vice president of Nielsen, encouraged women to feel empowered in navigating their career paths at the annual Georgetown University Conference for Women in Business, held on Sept. 19. Rather than focusing on the trite image of the “corporate ladder,” Burke insists women embrace the concept of a “corporate jungle gym,” and navigate their career paths based on their goals and passions rather than believing there is one set path to follow. By following your passions, sharing your perspectives and asking questions, Burke says that “you can have it all, just not all on the same day.”

Funding Entrepreneurs

Beginning next semester, graduating seniors interested in entrepreneurship will be able to apply for a new program called Startup Stipends. Through a competitive application process, the program selects graduating seniors to receive a stipend to support some of the costs associated with a startup company. While intended to be used for the creation of a new business, graduating seniors also have the option to use the stipend to help pay off student loans, which are the biggest limiting factor for recent grads. By easing the financial burdens of recent graduates or providing them the cash they need to create their dream business, the program aims to create more young entrepreneurs and stimulate long-term economic growth.

Preparing for Innovation

This past March, 30 university leaders and administrators from across Georgetown gathered for the Shaping and Advancing Georgetown Executives program. The program, which was developed in a partnership between the Office of Executive Education and the Office of the Human Resources, works over the course of six months to develop a cohort across disciplines and allow leaders to learn from one another. A similar program may be offered in early 2015.