Best Bets: Live Jazz and Rare Vinyls

FRIDAY:

Take in the smooth jazz piano sounds of Johnny O’Neal (who played the role of his primary influence, Art Tatum, in the Academy Award-winning film Ray) tonight at Twins Jazz (1344 U St. NW). Tickets cost $20, but it’s well worth the price to hear O’Neal’s tender ballads and expert piano-playing. For a preview, check out this video.

SATURDAY:

If running in your underwear in February for a good cause sounds like something you’d like to do sometime, Cupid’s Undie Run is for you. The run begins at 319 Pennsylvania Av. SE, and participants will do a 1.1-mile loop around the Capitol, with the $30 registration fees and other donations benefiting the Children’s Tumor Foundation. All festivities, pre- and post-race, will be held at The Pour House, a Capitol Hill hot-spot during the workweek. Pre-race festivities begin at noon, before the 2 p.m. run. The run this year will be extra exciting, with rain, snow, wind, and near-freezing temperatures expected.

SUNDAY:

For the vinyl aficionados in the District, the D.C. Records Fair at the Riot Act Comedy Club (801 E St. NW) is sure to be the highlight of the weekend. Featuring six local DJ’s, plenty of drinks, and thousands of old records, the fair is moving for the first time to a larger location to accomodate its growing following. Past editions of the fair have been advertised as a great event to find exceptionally rare vinyls. For the super-rare music, show up at 11 a.m. for early bird shopping — regular shopping starts at noon for a $2 cover charge, but bring additional money for drinks and vinyls.