DCTC: The G2 MetroBus

DCTC: The G2 MetroBus

Screen Shot 2013-01-13 at 7.12.17 PM

Welcome to the D.C. Travel Companion, designed to help you break the bubble in the cheapest and most convenient way possible! Here in the District, we have a large number of public transportation systems, but you may not know how to use them or where they can get you. We at 4E are here to help you with that! Every Monday, we will be highlighting a different method of transportation to help you experience new restaurants, entertainment venues and fun activities!

While we were on break, the G2 MetroBus line went live again! This convenient method of transportation comes directly to the front gates of campus and goes all the way to Howard University, stopping in Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, and LeDroit Park along the way.

Cost $1.60 with SmarTrip card, $1.80 without. Be sure to have exact change!

When The G2, unlike the GUTS buses, runs seven days a week, which effectively makes it one of the most accessible forms of travel for us Georgetown students. You can find a schedule of the bus times here.

Where can the G2 get me?

Dupont Circle There are tons of great things to do in Dupont, whether it’s eating or catching Metro to go somewhere else, but you can also check out the Phillips Collection, which is America’s first museum of modern art. For ticketed exhibitions, it’s free if you’re 18 and under (like me and many other freshman) and only $10 with proof that you are a student! But for just the general museum collection (which is still pretty great), it is free with a requested donation from Tuesday to Friday! Check out more information here.

Logan Circle We’re always looking for fun places to eat when we’re getting sick of Leo’s or want to take a date to somewhere a little more interesting or removed from the Georgetown area. The G2 bus takes you to Logan Circle, where you can find the Thai Tanic Restaurant. It’s very affordable and has a wide range of Thai and other ethnic cuisines. The portions are fairly big, so it’s a great place to go with a group. As a warning to those with more sensitive palates, the food is fairly spicy, so let the waiter know if you’d like it a little more mild.

LeDroit Park In LeDroit Park, you can find another great spot for an afternoon away from campus: Bistro Bohem. This great little restaurant has some great European dishes and a cafe menu open every day. The Bistro opens every day at 5 p.m. and the cafe opens weekdays from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. and weekends from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Howard University At the final stop on the G2 is Howard University. Whether you’re visiting a friend at school or just exploring the area, Duffy’s Irish Restaurant and Pub is a great stop for some nightlife or to watch the game on the weekend. With a full bar, a jukebox, happy hour and great dive bar food, you’ll happily ride the G2 all the way out there for some R&R.

~Happy traveling, Hoyas! See you next week with some more travelling tips!

Photo: SoulOfAmerica, Blog.NJ, Flickr