How to Make the Most of Your Internship

internshipIt’s hard to believe that summer is almost halfway over. For some of you, this is a horrific thought. You’ve been lounging on the beach, maybe life-guarding or working as a camp counselor and you never want the fun to end! But for some of us, the ones who have been slaving away as unpaid interns, we could use the much needed break. And we hate everyone on the beach right now.

large
Stop having fun

That being said, there are still a few more weeks left in that 10 or 12 week internship, and plenty of ways to make sure you go out with a bang! So here are some suggestions on how to spice it up these last few weeks, and make sure you get the most out of that internship experience.

1. Steal things! It’s wrong, but it’s so right.

Start small, maybe snag all that free candy in the office, pocket a couple of K-cups or take those snazzy pens you’ve been eyeing. You’re not being paid, so you might as well swipe some free swag. Maybe you even graduate to some larger items. Working on the hill this summer? I bet no one will notice when the state flag goes missing.

Get creative with what you steal, like someone’s identity!

2. Wear something CRAZY.

You’ve been stuffed up in suits/dresses all summer and it’s time to branch out! On one of your last days wear those patterned pants or that cheetah print dress you’ve been to shy to try out. They can’t kick you out of the office on your last day, so maybe you should come to work looking like this.

3. Give that cute other intern your number.

You’ve been sitting next to him/her all summer, and let’s face it, you’re interested. How could you not be after making semi-awkward small talk everyday for several months. Now is the time to be BOLD. Stop flirting-ish and blatantly give them your number. They’ve got two weeks left in DC and you don’t want to miss that opportunity for the perfect date. (OK, OK it’ll probably be a DFMO.)

4. Take super long lunch breaks.

Does anyone really notice when you’re out of the office? So why not stretch your lunch hour a bit. Meet up with friends working nearby, finally try that food truck down the street and don’t worry about what you’re missing back at the office: NOTHING.

There are a few ways to spice up your last few weeks in the office. Remember, while your internship may be hellish, and you’d much rather be one of those people lounging on the beach (like all your friends sending you annoying summer snapchats), you are gaining a valuable experience. So take pride in your last few weeks, you’re almost there. Get to know the people in your office, ask questions and work hard. Like any good Hoya, remember that work hard is followed by play hard.

Photos/Gifs: imgur.com, tumblr.com, giphy.com