The Tinder of Cherry Blossoms?

tinder

It’s that time of year again. Spring is in the air, the birds are singing and millions of 8th graders and tourists descend upon DC like college students to free food and random puppies.

Me when I see a puppy on campus

Unfortunately, all these tourists go to one of two places: the line at Georgetown Cupcakes, or around the Tidal Basin, looking to take pictures of the beautiful cherry blossoms during peak bloom.

Although the cherry blossoms at the Tidal Basin are world famous, and rightfully so, the hassle of being trampled by wanna-be-photographers and people of all ages wielding selfie sticks makes it hard to enjoy the beauty.

Luckily, a new web app, called Cherrypicker, has come up with the solution to your flower-related woes. Cherrypicker will take your location and direct you to the nearest cherry tree, allowing you to have a personal photo op in your own neighborhood, without the risk of being aggressively shoved into the Potomac.
 For some strange reason, dcist has labeled the app as “the Tinder of cherry trees.” The only thing the web app has in common with Tinder is that you swipe right to find directions to the nearest tree, but the comparison has left 4E with some important questions: how would a Tinder with cherry trees actually work?

1. There would probably be lots of profile pictures of the cherry trees reflected in the Tidal Basin. It’s the next best thing to mirror selfies.

2. Some birch trees will masquerade as cherry trees in an attempt to lure you to their location.

3. The ugliest tree in the picture of five trees will be the tree whose profile you’re looking at.

4. You’ll probably be forced to send several messages in a row and become irrationally angry since cherry trees don’t have thumbs to type responses.

5. You finally match with a cherry tree that you eventually realize was the same one you matched with during last year’s peak bloom. Awkward.

While having a cherry tree Tinder is probably not a great idea, you should try to see as many cherry trees as you can during DC’s most beautiful few weeks. Whether you brave the crowds at the Tidal Basin, or check out some of the more underrated spots for cherry trees, like Dumbarton Oaks, take the time to enjoy one of DC’s most unique and beautiful features- just please leave the selfie stick at home.

Photos/Gifs: giphy.com, tumblr, famousdc.com, https://washington.org/, wikimedia.org