‘Abissa’ Showcases African Fashion, Culture

AFRICAN SOCIETY OF GEORGETOWN
AFRICAN SOCIETY OF GEORGETOWN

The African Society of Georgetown will be hosting their eighth annual cultural showcase, “Abissa,” tonight in Lohrfink Auditorium, featuring Ethiopian dance performances and spoken word poetry alongside an exhibition of both traditional and modern African fashion.

With the theme of “From Dakar to Nairobi,” this year’s fashion show showcases ikuru, an ethical fashion label based in Mozambique. The project seeks to empower women by helping alleviate poverty. Women employed by the brand receive many benefits, including access to reliable healthcare, childcare services, trade learning and English classes. Furthermore, all of its fabrics are sourced from local markets in Mozambique.

Many of the items seen during the show, including those from ikuru and other brands, will be for sale immediately following a reception where light food will be served. Clothing will be made available to students at a special discounted price.

The fashion show features around 25 student models, many of whom have had prior experience with the project. Airton Camdem (COL’16), who is originally from Cameroon, has participated in the show for the last three years, and said he found its mission important.

“It’s important to celebrate African culture and to share it with the Georgetown community. [The showcase] shows more than just the poverty and deprivation that the media shows when they portray Africa,” Camdem said.

This will also be Stephanie Estevez’s (COL’ 16) third time participating in the show. Estevez said this year’s iteration features an impressive range of African fashion and culture.

“[The show] is a nice exposure of Africa as a diverse and vast continent,” Estevez said.

Ogechi Nowodim (NHS’ 17), the show’s talent coordinator, said she believes this event to be central to the mission of ASG.

“We try basically to represent the diaspora as best we can. We try to highlight a culture that’s rarely showcased,” Nowodim said.