Concert Review: Fitz and the Tantrums

GIANNA PISANO/THE HOYA Fitz and the Tantrums gave a performance full of electric pop at the 9:30 club last week.
GIANNA PISANO/THE HOYA
Fitz and the Tantrums gave a performance full of electric pop at the 9:30 club last week.

★★★★☆
9:30 Club

The alternative band Fitz and the Tantrums has been all the buzz lately with its vibrant songs “Out of My League” and “MoneyGrabber,” which carry the eccentric indie-pop sound that first hooked listeners during the group’s start in 2008.

Combining an impressive stage presence with this catchy, energetic music, Fitz and the Tantrums lit up the atmosphere of the 9:30 Club on Nov. 8 with impressive visuals and sound last Saturday. The entertainment factor was overwhelming; it’s no wonder that the show sold out the first day that tickets went on sale.

“D.C. is like our second home,” lead singer Michael Fitzpatrick (hence, “Fitz”) said between songs. “We’ve been here so many times, and you guys always make us feel welcome.”

The aura of the crowd added to this standout performance, rumbling with its own vitality and roaring in satisfaction after every song.

GIANNA PISANO/THE HOYA

The band’s performance of “Out of my League” was one of the highlights of the show, as the song is one of the band’s most successful singles. The whole crowd knew the words and sang along, humming the beat and filling the room with an indescribably electric feeling.

The band’s saxophonist, James King, adds a jazzy effect to the songs and brings the band beyond the normal confines of the alternative genre by infusing its sound with a soulful edge. In addition to providing regular saxophone riffs for the songs, King creatively performed Jason Derulo’s “Talk Dirty,” which has a playful saxophone solo.

The second lead singer Noelle Scaggs was equally spirited, complementing King’s jazzy saxophone with a soulful voice and powerful pipes in every song. Her vibrant personality welcomed the audience and made us feel like a comfortable part of the band. Alongside Fitzpatrick, her impressive talent and harmonies in every song make her a great addition to the band, and her stage presence overwhelmingly projects her power and personality.

GIANNA PISANO/THE HOYA
GIANNA PISANO/THE HOYA

After an hour and a half on stage, Fitz and the Tantrums calmly exited, as the crowd begged for more. Their eager anticipation was contagious, with audience members joining together in a chant for one last song. When the band finally emerged for an encore, they belted out their hit song “MoneyGrabber” as confetti fell down from the ceiling in tumultuous heaps.

“With Fitz and the Tantrums, we like to get down. No, literally, we mean get low!” Fitzpatrick said, as the crowd slowly danced and lowered itself onto the floor along with the band. The entire venue seemed to open up, and being only 5 feet 2 inches tall, I particularly enjoyed this part of the performance because I was able to get a good glimpse of the group in action.

Even if you don’t know their songs, it is clear that any show with Fitz and the Tantrums brings a good time. Their unique sound is taking the indie-pop scene by storm, and this show was proof that the band’s growing fame is well deserved.