Movie Review: ‘The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’

VARIETY
VARIETY

★★★★☆

In “The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” director John Madden takes stars and turns them into idiosyncratic characters. With a cast of movie powerhouses like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Richard Gere, Bill Nighy and the young Dev Patel, it would have been easy for this movie to rely on its cast to garner fame and success. But, this movie is about much more than its star-studded cast. It combines a heartwarming (although predictable) story, intricate costumes, endearing chemistry and overwhelming charm into one seamless, feel-good film.

Sonny Kapoor (Dev Patel) hopes to expand his hotel business in Jaipur, India, by acquiring another hotel, but he lacks both the money and the luck necessary to find the right new location. He also must balance the pressures of his upcoming wedding with the arrival of flirty Kushal (Shazad Latif), his brother-in-law’s best friend, who spends a little too much time being a little too close to his fiancee. Meanwhile, the elderly British guests staying at the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel face trials of their own. Sweet Evelyn (Judi Dench) has been offered the job of a lifetime, but her feelings for Douglas (Bill Nighy) make it difficult for her to say yes to the job. Man-hunting Madge (Celia Imrie) is torn between two men — or does she love either of them at all? And sassy old Mrs. Donnelly (Maggie Smith), Sonny’s co-manager, stands back and observes it all while battling her own demon: aging.

The film is a sequel to “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” but you don’t need to have seen the first movie to appreciate the acting chops and sweet storyline of this sequel. Each character’s distinctly different personality shines through and is well-developed from the start. Mrs. Donnelly in particular steals the show — Maggie Smith’s biting one-liners had the entire theater cackling in their seats. Her lines alone are reason enough to see this movie. After being served one too many cups of mediocre tea during her visit to the US, she complains, “They slap down a cup of tepid nonsense with the teabag lying beside it, which means I’ve got to go through the ridiculous business of dunking it in the lukewarm piss, waiting for the slightest change of color to occur. And at my age — I haven’t got the time.”

Madden has brought a well-balanced focus to his portrayal of both European and Indian characters. It is a refreshing change of pace and perspective to see him delve into the equally rich and complex stories of the seemingly minor characters, giving them their own chances to shine. Mrs. Kapoor, played by Lillete Dubey, stands out in particular. Her performance as Sonny’s no-nonsense yet charming mother who catches the eye of Guy Chambers (Richard Gere) draws viewers in and even convinces them to cheer her on in her romantic pursuits.

The movie also incorporates crowd-pleasing Bollywood music and dance scenes during Sonny’s wedding. The combination of excellent acting, hilarious scenes and feel-good song and dance makes this film a must-see for viewers of all ages. “The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” truly has something for everyone. Believe me, you won’t walk away disappointed.