‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’ Freshly Reboots the Classic Spy Marriage

IMDB
IMDB

All’s fair in love and war. The violence of espionage blooms into a sweet yet complicated marriage in the inventive narrative of “Mr. and Mrs. Smith,” a TV reboot of the 2005 movie starring Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Building on the essential concept of its predecessor, “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” gives a new take to the idea of two married spies, often more willing to explore the relationship between the titular John Smith (Donald Glover) and Jane Smith (Maya Erskine) than the action that comes with their chosen field of work.

From the very beginning, the Smiths’ work is entwined with their relationship. Each episode covers the growing connection between the two in every mission they take on. 

The first episode, titled “First Date,” aptly sets up the series’ tone, a mixture of grounded reality against the whirlwind that is their jobs. Both Jane and John are shown interviewed by a sentient online being known as Hihi who eventually becomes their supervisor. Their first meeting afterward is drenched with the awkwardness involved in the process of getting to know a stranger, let alone their new partner in both marriage and work. This continues in their first mission together to retrieve a “package.”

However, even as the simple mission dissolves into chaos, the show consistently stays rooted to the couple throughout this episode, each development strung together by long cuts of John and Jane’s conversations as they get to know each other on what is — in actuality — their first date. 

It’s precisely this aspect of “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” that makes it shine. The writing allows for the dynamics of the marriage to take the front seat rather than the action. While there are still some great action sequences, including a violent squabble between John and Jane near the end of the series that is reminiscent of the original premise for the 2005 movie, the Smiths’ relationship is what makes this series special and roots it in a reality that the viewer can connect to. 

Against the adrenaline and violence associated with their jobs, the series always connects back to the central couple. It’s after a mission in which they accidentally kill a man and dispose of his body that we see a sweet moment of personal connection between the couple as they watch a children’s cartoon. It’s in a high-risk, absolutely terrifying and violent moment in a faraway jungle that the couple finally first say “I love you.” The action is used to build the romance. 

In addition, the performances and the chemistry between Glover and Erskine are what elevate and complete the show. Glover deftly balances the charm and the insecurity of John Smith who, against his projection of confidence, deals with insecurities in his masculinity that sprout from his past. On the other hand, Erskine shines as Jane Smith, a guarded, possibly sociopathic character who both rejects and craves connection, unafraid to manipulate others to get what she needs. 

Together, the two are able to bounce off of each other, elevating the comedic — as well as the more intimate — emotional beats. This is prominently seen in the sixth episode, “Couples Therapy (Naked & Afraid),” as the two deliver sadly comedic arguments as John and Jane navigate their increasingly complicated relationship. It’s their last argument in this episode that highlights how well both Glover and Erskine can balance the comedic and dramatic, descending from laughable chaos to a heartbreaking realization of the couple’s declining relationship since their initial spark.

Alongside Glover and Erskine, a handful of delightful cameos add life to the distinct energy the series holds. Some standouts are Hot Neighbor (Paul Dano) who holds the regular nefarious motives one may encounter in day-to-day life and the peculiar couple of the other John (Wagner Moura) and Jane (Parker Posey) who walk a very thin line between normality and insanity. These smaller characters add to the atmosphere and elevate the more comedic sides of the show.

However, a potential problem with “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” is how different it is in contrast with the original movie. Against the more fast-paced action of the 2005 original, the series opts for a slower speed, taking its time to both build the romance as well as the work life of these two spies. These contrasts may alienate the audience of the previous movie from this reboot, which captures and focuses on a different aspect of the original story. 

Ultimately, “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” forges its own identity from the outline of its predecessor, creating a new romance that, beyond its two leads’  chemistry, has a developed and complex heart that allows for viewers to connect to the moments of both love and heartbreak between the Smiths.