Friday Fixat10ns: 90’s Power Playlist

[8tracks width=”300″ height=”250″ playops=”” url=”https://8tracks.com/mixes/5319003″]

Aside from dial-up internet, there is a lot we miss about the 90’s. Those were the days when we used to love pushing a slinky repeatedly down the stairs, when we couldn’t wait to pop our favorite tape into the family VCR and when we actually liked Mary Kate and Ashley. But the truth is, the best part of the 90’s was the music. Sure, there are the obvious 90’s classics like Aaron Carter, the Backstreet Boys, and NSYNC, but the true powerhouse hits of the 90’s are often ignored. So, 4E has put together the Friday Fixat10ns for those true 90’s music fans out there. Here are the tracks:

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana – The obvious choice for this playlist, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” packs a punch for all of those angsty teens out there looking to get out some aggression. Also, how can you not like a song that has an almost completely unintelligible chorus?
  2. Hold On by En Vogue – Before there was Destiny’s Child, there was En Vogue. “Hold On” samples Jackson 5’s hit “Who’s Lovin’ You” as an introduction, and you can’t help but belt out a few lyrics. After the powerhouse intro, the song breaks into the quintessential 90’s girl group hit.
  3. Hold On by Wilson Phillips – You may be thinking, “Another ‘Hold On’, are you kidding?” No, I am not kidding. If it’s good enough for Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph to jam out to in “Bridesmaids“, then it’s good enough to make this playlist.
  4. I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers – Although this song was actually released in 1988, it only went big after its re-release in 1993. This is the jam. Sure, does anyone know what accents The Proclaimers have? No. Does anyone know what “havering” means? No. But trust me, if this power-packed song comes on at a party, you can bet everyone will be going wild to the chorus and intermittent “da-lat-das”.
  5. I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston – It almost pains me to think that I even have to explain why this song makes the cut. Disregard the historical fame and chart-topping numbers, and it would still make this playlist because of how this inspired every shower singer to try and belt notes like Whitney and unfortunately fail. (Yes, that kid that sings in the communal shower of his freshman dorm, we’ve all heard you.)
  6. Baby Got Back by Sir-Mix-A-Lot – Before there was “Anaconda,” there was “Baby Got Back.” This song is one of the greatest songs of all time. Starting out with a hilarious intro and lyrics that made any kid who knew them the most popular kid in school, this song is truly one for the ages.
  7. Wannabe by Spice Girls – I’ll tell ya what I want, what I really really want: this 90’s jam on the playlist! “Wannabe” is a classic that makes any Georgetown girl drop her Pumpkin Spice Latte and dance like no one is watching.
  8. I’ll Be There For You by The Rembrandts – You may have never heard of The Rembrandts, but you’ve definitely heard of “I’ll Be There For You.” This song was the theme song for the greatest television show of all time, “Friends”, and packs a powerful message about friendship. I dare you not to do the quadruple clap after “So no one told you life was gonna be this way…”
  9. No Scrubs by TLC – This song is the perfect anthem to keep the “scrubs” away. Covered by contemporary artists like Bastille and Foxes, the lasting power of this song is unbelievably strong. But still, no one could rock it like TLC.
  10. Wonderwall by Oasis – Trust me, you’ve heard this song. We all have that one friend who can “play” guitar, but really can only play “Wonderwall.” Despite the weird fascination amateur guitar players everywhere have with his song, this is a 90’s classic that always has everyone singing along.

So to all the 4E readers out there, when you eventually begin studying for your finals, blast this playlist to pump yourself up. 90’s music will always be there for you.

Photo: blogspot.com