Friday Fixat10ns: Grammy Awards 2015

The 57th annual Grammy Awards are on Sunday night, and we are in for a treat! LL Cool J is hosting (for the fourth year in a row), there are bound to be great performances and – wait, “Jealous” by Nick Jonas wasn’t nominated for Song of the Year???

So no awards show is perfect, especially not one for something as subjective as music. But there are some fine nominees this year, as there are every year, and we’ve put together a playlist of 10 notable nominated songs for your enjoyment.

1. Sia – “Chandelier” One of the year’s best music videos, in my opinion. This song has been nominated for Record of the Year, Song of the Year (don’t ask me how those two are different), Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Producer and Video of the Year (along with “Turn Down for What”).

2. Sam Smith ft. Mary J. Blige – “Stay With Me (Darkchild Remix) An excellent appearance from Mary J. on a now-ubiquitous song, though she isn’t the only famous person to collaborate with Sam Smith. A$AP Rocky did a verse on “I’m Not the Only One”, and Sam Smith himself was a guest on Disclosure’s hit “Latch.”

3. Taylor Swift – “Shake It Off” Love her or hate her, no one can deny that Taylor Swift knows how to make a catchy tune. Although to be honest, my favorite track from 1989 is definitely “Blank Space.”

4. Meghan Trainor – “All About That Bass” Nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year (seriously, what is the difference? Please tell me), this song catapulted Meghan Trainor into the public eye.

5. Hozier – “Take Me to Church” Hozier is Andrew Hozier-Byrne, an Irish musician who can rock a man bun. He is also excellent live – check out his appearance on SNL.

6. Disclosure ft. Mary J. Blige – “F For You” Despite the fact that Settle, the album on which this track appears, came out in 2013, “F For You” managed to snag a nomination for Best Dance Recording. Also, note that Mary J. Blige is racking up the nominations-by-guest-appearance.

7. Arctic Monkeys – “Do I Wanna Know?” AM was also released in 2013. Nevertheless, “Do I Wanna Know?” is a great song and this band (one of my favorites) got a nomination for Best Rock Performance.

8. Beyoncé – “Drunk In Love”  Recently “covered” by Will Ferrell, this song has cemented its place in pop culture for a looooong time (surfbort, anyone?). Personally, I like to skip Jay-Z’s weird and not very good verse and stick to the good stuff (Bey).

9. Kendrick Lamar – “i” One of the singles from Kendrick’s forthcoming album (due any day now, or something like that), “i” is a message of positivity and self-respect. A great track from a hopefully great album.

10. Kanye West – “Bound 2” Nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration and Best Rap Song, “Bound 2” has a timeless classic of a music video. It’s also one of the best songs on Yeezus. Let’s hope 2015 brings another classic Kanye album (that’ll rack up the nominations for Grammys 2016).

So tune in Feb. 8 to see who wins! CBS is broadcasting starting at 5:00 pm. Hopefully this playlist will help you prepare for the show. Or, you know, you can be like me and just listen to “Jealous” over and over.

Photos: grammy.com, brooklynvegan.com