Friday Fixat10ns: It’s Summatime!

ffsummergraphic Whether you are struggle-bussing through a suit-and-tie internship or kicking it at a beach bonfire with your pals from back home, here are ten songs you need to celebrate tomorrow, the first official day of summer! [8tracks width=”300″ height=”250″ playops=”” url=”https://8tracks.com/mixes/4232005″]

1. “Rude” by MAGIC! Two words: reggae fusion. If you have ever worried what your girlfriend’s dad is going to think of you, this Canadian anthem is for you. MAGIC! flips the script on super awkward parent-significant other meetings.

2. “Riptide” by Vance Joy In this song, upcoming Australian musician Vance Joy showcases his original indie folk sound. His lyrics are simultaneously childlike and beautiful. “Riptide” makes me want to run along the shore of the beach and playfully dodge the waves as they crash against the sand.

3. “Problem” by Ariana Grande (ft. Iggy Azalea) With a jazzy combination of saxophone, trumpet and female vocals, “Problem” creatively blurs modern genres. Ariana’s pop vocals and Iggy Azalea’s rap game mix to uptempo perfection. Disclaimer: I have a small pretty big crush on Ariana Grande.

4. “Dust on the Ground” by Bombay Bicycle Club (WLT version) Here’s a slight throwback. “Dust on the Ground” is the ideal song to listen to while relaxing at the park. An English indie rock group, Bombay Bicycle Club is the band you always wanted to make with your friends. That’s what makes their music so lovable. The group and their music are the precise cross between nerdy and shy, which we somehow equate with “hipster.”

5. “Summer” by Calvin Harris Calvin Harris’ latest hit is playing on virtually every radio wave. At times, its lyrics are cliche, but its hooks are so darn catchy. With “Summer,” Harris hits the mark, finding a strong balance between electro house and natural sound.

6. “Burn” by Ellie Goulding This song is relevant to those of you working on your tans this summer.

7. “Gold on the Ceiling” by The Black Keys If you haven’t heard The Black Keys, we need to change that immediately. The drums and guitar duo is back at it again with “Gold on the Ceiling.” Featuring wicked guitar solos and powerful blues rock-infused rhythm, The Black Keys stay true to their roots.

8. “Sing” by Ed Sheeran In “Sing,” Ed Sheeran takes a step away from his standard musical scene. With contributions from Pharrell and edgier instrumentals, Sheeran took a chance and struck gold. At the moment, “Sing” is on pace to become Sheeran’s first U.K. number-one single.

9. “Marvel at the Stars” by Art of Verse If you have some free time, check out the YouTube Channel TheSoundYouNeed. “Marvel at the Stars” is poetry in motion. I will let Art of Verse speak for himself.

10. “Latch” by Disclosure (ft. Sam Smith) This is the type of song that should be played at parties more frequently. “Latch” resonates with me because it utilizes synths without overdoing it. So, there you have it! No matter what you’re doing this summer, make sure you’re vibing and enjoying some music!

This post was brought to you by Matthew De Silva (SFS ’16) of the Hoya Tech department. Thanks, Matt!