Friday Fixat10ns: Magic in the Air

by Martin Hussey

FIXAT10NS: Magic in the Air from thehoya on 8tracks.

Some sort of magic has definitely been in the floating around campus this week, with temperatures soaring into the 70s on Wednesday, Georgetown’s walloping of UConn on Wednesday night and that yearly affair with the groundhog (where some strange form of groundhog magic predicted six more weeks of winter Thursday morning). To commemorate this excellent week in Hoya history, we’re starting the weekend off on a magical note as well, with 10 magical tunes designed to charm you  into relaxation.

Harry Potter and the Half-Dub Remix — Terabyte Frenzy The dubstep craze is remixing everything from Rebecca Black’s “Friday” to soundbytes from Family Guy. This is one of the few remixes that this grandma should have been dancing to.

Magic Spells — Crystal Castles The magical thing about this song is how they make a repetitive beat and no words still sound interesting after six minutes. Finger drumming is inevitable.

Love Sex Magic — Ciara (feat. Justin Timberlake) This 2009 dance anthem reminds me of junior prom. To some, that night was magical in itself. I find myself wondering, though, whether our DJ realized he was playing this song to a bunch of hormonal high schoolers.

The Ghost Inside — Broken Bells Ghosts are magical, right? Regardless, this is a great song, and the chorus is hypnotizingly entrancing.

Golden Age – TV on the Radio We’re in the age of miracles – we must be when it is 70 degrees on the first day of February.

Time to Pretend — MGMT A lot of you may have fallen out of touch with this song. Don’t. Plus, I feel like this song is increasingly relevant in my life as I near the time in my life where I “get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning news.”

Magic — Pilot Who can’t include this song in a list of magical music? This cheesy 70’s rocker still maintains an infectious chorus that populates the best moments in movies, TV shows and plays as in my head when awesome things happen to me.

Ghost! – Kid Cudi I couldn’t resist including Kid Cudi in this song, with his strange story lines about men on the moon and other such fantastical things. This song was also great in concert: Here’s a clip from the performance I saw live.

Do You Believe in Magic? – The Lovin’ Spoonful The second oldie about magic on this post. If you’re bored by the classic, I recommend the Aly and AJ version from the Disney show Wizards of Waverly Place.

I Believe – Simian Mobile Disco I believe in magic. Actually, I don’t. But some people do. If you believe in anything, it should be this song, with its weird beat that frames a pretty legit song.