Friday Fixat10ns: Middle School Dance Edition

NAPOLEON-DYNAMITE-dancing-014_470_282_90

[8tracks url=”https://8tracks.com/hoya_sounds/friday-fixat10ns-middle-school-dance-edition” ]

Whip out the ugg boots, blue eye shadow and flip phones because this playlist will serve as the ultimate “throwback” to those fantastically awkward middle school days.

1. “Stronger” – Kanye West. We all wanted those shutter shades featured in the music video, and even the kids who didn’t normally dance were likely to participate in this one.  
  2. “TiK ToK” – Ke$ha. Alas, the rise of Ke$ha, with her money symbol name and her amazingly bizarre lyrics. It’s still a mystery how middle schools allowed a song with words like “before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of jack.”
  3. “I Know You Want Me” – Pitbull (Feat. Calle Ocho). While we mock Mr. 305, we can agree that this song was our jam in those middle school days. Deep down we all had a special someone that we wanted to serenade with this tune if that sort of thing were “socially acceptable.”
  4. “Lollipop” – Lil Wayne. This song came on when the “grinding” (or whatever the kids call it these days) was in full force. The chaperones heard the start of this and were probably in alert mode to break up that kind of dancing.
  5. “Poker Face” – Lady Gaga. Everyone knows the tune, the words and the meaning. It was played not just at middle school dances, but at every other event where music was played aloud.
  6. “Live Your Life” – T.I. (Feat. Rihanna). As a middle schooler we all loved this song and all sang along to the chorus and focused on dancing during the TI verses since it was hard to memorize those portions. Good times.
  7. “With You” – Chris Brown. Awww. When Chris Brown wasn’t scary, this song was a perfect for slow dancing or just swaying along to.
  8. “Low” – Flo-Rida. Yes, we all googled “apple bottom jeans” and we all had that “a-ha!” moment after realizing that Flo-Rida is Florida “like the state.”
  9. “Umbrella” – Rihanna (feat. Jay-Z). It went beyond a song but was like a universally known and enjoyed middle school bonding piece that is still enjoyable to listen to.
  10. “When I Grow Up” – The Pussycat Dolls. This was a “belt it out and have no shame” sort of song, and it was a universal misconception (that we all bonded over) that she says “boobies” not “groupies.

Photos/Gifs: hirevue.com