Guide Grooves: Macklemore and Ellie Goulding

Guide Grooves from October 12 from thehoya on 8tracks Radio.

This edition of Guide Grooves is probably the most exciting post to date, mostly because my colleagues at The Guide picked two awesome artists and they both made amazing albums. Ellie Goulding’s unique voice was crafted into an edgier and more interesting album than 2011’s “Lights,” while Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have released an album with more than a few instant hits.

Halcyon — Ellie Goulding Her voice is just so captivating. And this song beautifully showcases her voice with strong drum beats, a melodious backdrop and a light smattering of guitar. Perfection.

My Blood — Ellie Goulding The Guide’s review called this the song to download on this album. It’s beautiful, and the chorus oozes with feeling.

Cowboy Boots — Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Forget Thrift Shop (even though it’s probably the catchiest song on the album). This is the most underrated song album (it’s an awesome late-night chill song) and the chorus has a folk quality that Macklemore effortlessly integrates into his own rap.

Can’t Hold Us — Macklemore and Ryan Lewis I can’t describe this song better than The Guide’s review: This song is an “uplifting piano-pounding, stomp-along flash of studio genius from Ryan Lewis. Macklemore holds nothing back; his flow is precise, and the low bass kick coupled with horns that appear halfway through propel it further.”

I also have to have a shout out to what is probably the most eloquent and wonderfully crafted social commentary I’ve had the pleasure to listen to: “Same Love” is simultaneously a straight-forward and unequivocal endorsement of LGBT equality and a blistering social commentary on stereotypes, prejudices and negative portrayals on homosexuality in society in general and rap in particular. Watch the music video. I cried almost as hard at the video as I did at the end of Toy Story 3. It’s also hard to ignore the spirited endorsement of LGBT equality from an rapper as mainstream as Macklemore in an album that is proving to be one of the most well-received and influential of the year.

Don’t Make ‘Em Like You — Ne-Yo (feat. Wiz Khalifa) Instant high school dance song. I could definitely picture myself dirty dancing to this song at some point within the next few weeks.

So Many Details — Toro y Moi I included this song for those of you with more eclectic tastes. This indie band released the single today in advance of their December album.

Better — K’naan Who is your favorite Canadian rapper? Mine is definitely NOT Drake. It’s K’naan. And if you’re still deciding, you must listen to this song.

Skyfall — Adele This is the song that will play during the opening credits of the upcoming James Bond movie. As if you needed another reason to get excited for James Bond.