Guide Grooves: Muse and Matt & Kim

Guide Grooves from October 5 from thehoya on 8tracks Radio.

If you didn’t find the time to read The Guide over the long weekend (or if you scampered from town before the issue came out), you missed out on the best guide to food in D.C. Too bad. Fortunately, though we’ve got a taste (no pun intended — or was it?) of the music reviewed in last week’s issue. Muse — everyone’s favorite mildly rebellious British band — released an album we thought could be “the soundtrack to almost any bad dystopian movie” in  a disappointing follow-up to their incredible 2009 album The Resitance. In the meantime, Matt & Kim continued to astound us with their awesome vocals an drum beats. So, take a break to enjoy these awesome (or maybe not-so-awesome) new beats.

The 2nd Law: Unsustainable — Muse I sort of feel like I’m drowning or watching a movie where the world collapses for the first minute, then the song gets so boring I get depressed at how such a great band like Muse could make a song this subpar. It feels like the band itself is living in a dystopia.

Madness — Muse By far the best song from The 2nd Law. It reminds us of Muse’s roots in a strong lead male vocal, superb beats and an electronic-type beat that is interesting, yet consistent throughout the song.

Now — Matt & Kim This is a totally different style of song for Matt & Kim. That said, it’s a great use of their already-proven talents — Matt’s truly unique voice that exudes positivity and makes you want to dance and Kim’s being absolutely stellar on the drums. Love this song.

It’s Alright — Matt & Kim I couldn’t agree more with The Guide’s review that this song is one of the most danceable songs ever created by this duo. Try not to tap your feet. I dare you.

Ride — Lana Del Rey We all know the Lana Del Rey jokes about her performance earlier this year on SNL. Yes, it was awful. And, yes, “Video Games” is one song I hope to never hear as long as I live. But I like this song! And for someone who hates Lana Del Rey as much as I do, that says a lot.

Closer — Tegan and Sara I am totally moving my head obnoxiously and every time that they scoop their voice at the end of the song I get very happy. A generally good song.

Red — Taylor Swift This song sounds like every other Taylor Swift song, so you’ll probably like it. I don’t, but I don’t like T-Swift all that much. This song also bothers me because the first line is, “Love is like driving a new Maserati down a dead end street.” What, T-Swift? Sorry…

Skyfall — ADELE My addition to this playlist. Love James Bond. Love Adele.