Perrys ‘Pioneer’ Dark Country Sound

4/5 Stars

744141929
Courtesy CMTRADIOLIVE.COM
BANDING TOGETHER The Band Perry returns to country stardom with Pioneer.

Three years have passed since the country world lovingly embraced The Band Perry and its debut album of the same name. Although it’s been a long time coming, their sophomore record more than lives up to expectations. The sibling trio infuses both pop and rock throughout the album, showing great range while still staying true to its American homeland roots. Lyrically, there’s no shortage of heartbreak and revenge with images of death and violence, but with lead singer Kimberly’s sassy delivery, the dark lyrics become irresistibly catchy. None of the songs off of this album quite matches the infamously great “If I Die Young,” but many come close.

Pioneer kicks off with the lead single “Better Dig Two.” I’ve been in love with the song since its release late last year. The banjo is on full display in this song, lending itself beautifully to the southern rock feel of the song. The lyrics “So if the ties that bind ever do come loose / Tie ‘em in a knot like a hangman’s noose / ‘Cause I’ll go to heaven or I’ll go to hell/ Before I see you with someone else” show the full extent of devotion this wife has for her husband.

“Done” is the second song on the album as well as the second single currently earning lots of radio airplay. This is just one of the many anthem songs found on Pioneer, and the rock tone of the song makes it perfect for anyone who’s ever had a jerk for an ex. “Chainsaw” continues the revenge trend, as The Band Perry goes after a tree with initials and promises of love carved into it with the lyrics “It’s hard to bury the hatchet / Holding a chainsaw.”

Lest you think that these siblings are getting a little too dark, in comes “Back to Me Without You,” one of the more vulnerable tracks featured. The song is still full of heartbreak, but it’s the sad kind, the kind that comes after the anger. The Band Perry wrote this ballad — one of nine songs on the album that the band had a hand in — and the anguish with which Kimberly sings it is a testament to how personal it is. The song is also one of the best lyrically with phrases such as “If it’s true / Home is where the heart is / Oh I guess / Now I’m homeless.” The title track, “Pioneer,” is quieter than the rest of the songs on the album, but the folksy tribute shows off Kimberly’s voice and is the album’s most beautiful song.

“Forever Mine Nevermind,” a song co-written by the band and country superstar Brad Paisley — whose recent collaboration “Accidental Racist” with LL Cool J has been deemed an epic fail — is by far the least “country” song on the album — it delves more into pop territory. Though it is another song about a breakup, Paisley’s talented guitar playing makes up for the sad subject matter and gives the track an almost feel-good vibe.

Country music’s greatest strength is telling stories through song, and Pioneer does just that. The Band Perry is one of the hottest bands in country music, and it not only avoids the dreaded “sophomore slump,” but also sets the bar impossibly high for its third attempt. Hopefully it won’t take another three years for that one to be released.