Superman Returns With a Film Strong Enough to Resurrect the Franchise

NYDAILYNEWS.COM
NYDAILYNEWS.COM

5/5 stars

In a world of Disney-fied Marvel films and a brooding Batman saga, only one man is a beacon of hope: HenryCavill’s Superman. Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel — a reboot of the classic superhero franchise — ditches the red undies, ups the existential crises and provides a happy medium between the campy and dreary superhero films of recent years.

As hopefully the first in a series of Superman films, Man of Steel opens with Kal-El’s birth during conflict on planet Krypton. Recognizing Krypton’s impending doom, scientistJor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son to the distant planet Earth while General Zod (Michael Shannon) takes matters into his own hands by staging a failed revolt.

Clark Kent, as Kal-El is known on Earth, grows up a loner, knowing he is different from his peers but unsure of how to manage his incredible abilities. As in past Superman adaptations, Clark hides his true identity at great personal cost, seeking refuge in isolation but still managing to save a few lives in the process.

His upbringing in Kansas changes the tone from that of the traditional Superman franchise. Amid the quiet beauty of rural life, Clark seeks refuge in a church rather than his father’s skyscraper; he finds value in simplicity rather than magnificence.

Despite Clark Kent’s solitary existence, Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Lois Lane tracks him down and discovers his secrets. This is one instance in which fans of the original Superman story may take issue with this break from traditional lore as Lois Lane’s knowledge of Clark Kent’s true identity plays an integral role in the film’s plot.

A chance meeting with the Jor-El’s consciousness then teaches Clark about his origins and what could be his destiny: to act as a bridge between two groups of people from different planets. Clark must reconcile his past with the open-ended question of who he will become.

Unfortunately, this encounter with Jor-El alerts General Zod of Clark’s whereabouts, and confrontation ensues. General Zod is a loyal Kryptonian who wants to see his people reborn, but this requires the sacrifice of Earth’s inhabitants. Once again, Clark must make a choice: to save his adoptive planet, a place that has scorned him throughout his life, or to embrace the morally questionable race that gave birth to him.

Man of Steel is a Superman for the 21st century. Cavill reclaims Superman’s suit as the sign of a warrior rather than an outdated Halloween costume. Burdened with demands from his birth and adoptive fathers, Clark must forge his own path when conflict arises. His main challenge is not General Zod, but determining who he will become. Nevertheless, Cavill takes on the internally tormented icon with grace and an emotional depth to make Christopher Reeve proud. Although there’s an ironic amount of destruction for a film about a man trying to save the world, Man of Steelpossesses talented actors, captivating special effects and a new enough take on the classic story to please almost any audience and reboot the Superman franchise to take over the silver screen.