What Happened in Sochi? An Olympics Recap

SochiOlympics1

After many complications, Sochi actually managed to pull off the 2014 Winter Olympics. For most current Hoyas, these were the first Olympics taking place during their time on campus, and there was a lot of discussion about how much more difficult it was to watch the events at school than it usually is at home. Luckily, this post will provide you with all the outcomes and highlights you missed in the 2014 Winter Olympics.

The Medal Count

Olympics_medal_Sochi_2014

In the overall medal count, Russia came in first place with 33 total medals. The United States came in second with 28, while Norway finished third with 26.

In gold medal rankings, the United States came in fourth. Russia took first again in gold, with Norway and Canada in second and third place, respectively. In silver medals, Russia took first, Canada took second and Austria took third.

Finally, the United States garnered the most bronze medals, followed by Norway and then Russia. Way to be consistently mediocre among the best in the world, USA!

Other Major Highlights

The Olympic rings and the cauldron for the Olympic flame at the Olympic Park, Sochi

Canada clinched a victory over the United States in men’s hockey.

Russia’s Adelina Sotnikova beat Yuna Kim, the defending champion, in figure skating. This sparked controversy regarding scoring methods and against the judges who made the decision, but the final decision remained unchanged.

Meryl Davis and Charlie White won the gold medal in ice dancing, the first in U.S. Olympic history.

Sarah Burke was honored and remembered as Maddie Bowman won a gold medal in the first-ever halfpipe event for women’s skiing. Sarah Burke was slated to be a frontrunner for the event in the Winter Games but passed away due to a skiing injury before Sochi 2014. You can watch the gesture here.

The weather was uncharacteristically warm in Sochi for the winter events. Some athletes were even able to compete in short-sleeved shirts.

For more information on other Olympic coverage, check out NBC’s Most Memorable Moments website. Read up, learn about these games and be “Sochi-ll.”

Sources: NBC; Photos: the guardian; teachingkidsnews.com