4 Vie for D.C.’s Congress Seat

While Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) may have most likely sealed her re-election as the D.C. voice in the House of Representatives by winning the Democratic primary, she will still face an eclectic mix of candidates in the general election.

On Nov. 2, Norton, who has served as a delegate in the House for 20 years, will be running against Republican Missy Reilly Smith, Rick Tingling-Clemmons of the D.C. Statehood Green Party, and Sandra Queen Noble, who is running for the minority party Helping Equal Rights Opportunity She’s Helping Equal Rights Opportunity.

Smith, who ran unopposed in the Republican primary, but has not been officially endorsed by the Republican Party of Washington, D.C., has made abortion the key issue of her campaign.

“I believe that the family is the nucleus of society, and that the government should adopt policies that protect children and the family at all stages of life,” Smith wrote in the District of Columbia Voter Guide.

To garner more support for her cause, Smith’s campaign committee paid for two graphic abortion advertisements that she is attempting to have aired on major D.C. television networks. According to Politico, it would be against federal law for the stations to refuse to broadcast them.

Tingling-Clemmons is running as the official candidate of the D.C. Statehood Green Party, a group that is seeking to have D.C. inducted as the 51st state into the union. Tingling-Clemmons, who has worked with famed Green Party candidate Ralph Nader on multiple occasions, claims Norton has not pushed strongly enough for statehood.

“The treatment of statehood has been just short of a mockery … To be ruled by committee and have a 30-day approval for all laws passed by our council is an affront to self-governance,” Tingling-Clemmon wrote on his campaign website.

Noble, on the other hand, is running for Congress representing the H.E.R.O.S.H.E.R.O. party, officially labeled as a “Minor Party” by the District of Columbia Board of Elections and Ethics.

Noble, who has run for president five times and three times for mayor of Cincinnati, claims that the government stole her babies in Hollywood, and is currently suing the “Stolen United States of America,” Kenneth Lewis and the Bank of America, for $994 trillion.

It is highly unlikely that these candidates will be unable to defeat Norton, however. Norton won the Democratic Primary on Sept. 14, with 90 percent of the vote. In addition, 78 percent of registered voters in D.C. view Norton favorably, according to The Washington Post. Around 78 percent of D.C. voters are registered or lean Democratic, according to a Gallup Poll. “